Clyde & Co has grown to become a leading global law firm in our core sectors. With over 2,500 legal professionals operating from over 50 offices and associated offices across six continents, we offer a comprehensive range of legal services and advice to businesses operating at the heart of global trade and commerce.
We are committed to fostering a truly diverse and inclusive workplace so that all our people can flourish and fulfil their highest potential, for the benefit of them, the firm and our clients.
About the role
As a lawyer at our Firm, you will be involved all aspects of commercial insurance work, from policy advice, coverage advice and litigation, defence work, investigation, litigation and resolution of specialty insurance lines, notably D&O, professional liability, commercial property (including cyber), and liability. The level of responsibility will match the ability, experience and desire of the chosen candidate, who will work with practice leaders. The cases are usually high-value and complex. You will have the opportunity of working in an entrepreneurial atmosphere and as part of a collegial team, all the while further developing your career.
- Providing legal analysis, advice, and advocacy in the area of insurance coverage and defence, working with senior lawyers in those sectors. This will involve:
- Drafting coverage opinions and related correspondence;
- Drafting liability and damage assessments, notably on professional E&O cases;
- Drafting pleadings, motion materials and factums, as well as pre-trial memorandums and mediation memorandums;
- Preparing correspondence to counsel opposite and clients;
- Preparing and conducting discoveries;
- Maintaining relations with the clients;
- Reviewing documents in preparation for providing coverage advice and litigation;
- Appearing in court, independently or with senior counsel, to argue motions, attend pre-trials and mediations;
- Assisting with, or conducting solo preparations and attending independently or with senior counsel at trials or other adjudicative hearings;
- Attending and presenting professional and client events for the purpose of professional and business development opportunities;
- Conducting legal research;
- Engaging in the practice management side of the legal work;
- Developing his/her overall set of skills in an on-going fashion;
- Meeting other related business needs or priorities as they may arise from time to time.
- Graduate from a recognized University / Common Law School with a l icense to practice law in Ontario (member in good standing with the Ontario Bar);
- Having between five to seven years of post-qualification experience;
- Relevant experience would be in private practice with a focus on insurance coverage, litigation and dispute resolution;
- Exceptional legal writing and communication skills;
- Sound judgement and legal reasoning, excellent analytical skills and creativity in solving problems;
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies, present a clear plan to the client, and communicate instructions rigorously and precisely;
- Proven advocacy talent;
- High integrity and intellectual rigor;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- An entrepreneurial spirit and keen interest in building client relationships;
- Able to work independently, as well as in a team.
This is the job description as constituted at present; although, the Firm reserves the right to reasonably amend it in accordance with the changing needs of the business. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
If you are interested in this position, please send us a cover letter, accompanied by your résumé and academic transcripts (combined into one PDF document) at: email@example.com
We offer a rewarding work environment that supports professional growth and opportunities. We value diversity in our work place and it is the policy of the Firm to recruit, hire, promote, reassign, compensate and train highly qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable law.