Position Title: INTERMEDIATE COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
Team: Systems Engineering
LEONARDO DRS, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo which employs more than 45,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on LEONARDO DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in the defense and aerospace industry.
DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. (DRS Canada), is a leading mid-tier Canadian defence electronics company specializing in military voice and data communications systems; electro-optics (EO) and infrared search and tracking systems (IRST); command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) systems integration; deployable flight data recorders; and defence/space electronics manufacturing.
The person in this role leads the ship’s integrated external and internal communications program execution from requirements analysis and definition, through system concept, design and proposal to system development, implementation, integration, qualification and test.
Major Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the derivation of requirements and development of requirements documents.
- Reviews customer requirements and specifications and develops top-level performance specifications.
- Directs/assists in the preparation of requirements tracking using established tools.
- Prepares system level specifications and drawings.
- Prepares Configuration Item/Equipment Procurement Specifications.
- Establishes vendor source selection evaluation criteria.
- Conducts vendor selection against evaluation criteria.
- Conducts system level trade studies, including Make/Buy analyses to develop an optimal solution.
- Prepares interface requirements specifications, interface and installation control drawings.
- Prepares proposal related material including system functional, performance, physical, design and construction descriptions, engineering plans, cost and schedule estimates.
- Directs/assists in the preparation of project system engineering data deliverables
- Prepares for and participates in reviews with internal/external customers and implements corrective actions as required
- Oversees the development of test plans to verify and validate requirements.
- Oversees system and subsystem validation and verification tests.
- Works with senior technical staff in locating and finding solutions to test anomalies.
- Reviews and approves baseline release documentation.
- Gathers information to support systems analyses.
- Assists with integrated logistics support activities including analysis, technical publications and customer interface control documents.
- May be required to travel to customer sites (domestic and international).
- Other duties as assigned. This may include assuming project leadership responsibilities on one or more technical programs.
- Provides general guidance/coaching to other Engineers, in multi-disciplined teams (hardware, software, mechanical etc.)
- Ability to ensure or adjust scope/budget/timelines to meet program requirements.
- Multiplexes between different projects and delivers on commitments.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility to meet business demands.
- Strong Technical and Specification writing skills.
- Operational familiarity with shipboard communications systems.
- Experience with integrated External/Internal communications systems design in the marine environment including radios, networks and security.
- Experience in design and processes in accordance with MIL-STD 2036, 1472, 490 -1521.
- Experience in designing for requirements including MTTR, MTBF, Availability and HFE guidelines.
- Background in specifying installations and support including wire/cabling, facility drawings and guidance packages.
- Demonstrates strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to rapidly evolving technologies.
- Computer literate with knowledge of word-processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in engineering..
- Minimum 3 - 7 years minimum of professional experience in designing and developing ship’s communications systems and network engineering related projects.
- Ability to diagnose and correct software/hardware/mechanical integration problems.
- Familiarity with systems tools and off-the-shelf packages that can be utilized for system development including DOORS.
- Sound working knowledge of life cycle models, software, hardware and system design processes, life cycle models, communication protocols; and real time system design methods.
- Good knowledge of integrated communications systems and their hardware and software components, with an understanding of EMI/EMC/Environmental and Power qualification testing requirements.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and meet Controlled Goods Clearance requirements; a minimum of 5-years continuous residence in Canada and a police background check are mandatory.
Special needs of candidates with disabilities will be accommodated. DRS is dedicated to Employment Equity. The successful candidate(s) must fulfill requirements for U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and Canadian security clearance. DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants may apply to this position online at www.leonardodrs.com careers. #DRSCanada