LEONARDO DRS, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia and is a leading supplier of integrated products, services and support to military forces, intelligence agencies and prime contractors worldwide. The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Leonardo which employs more than 45,000 people worldwide. We offer a competitive compensation package and a business culture which rewards performance. For additional information on LEONARDO DRS, please visit our website at www.leonardodrs.com We are committed to recruiting and retaining the best talent in the defense and aerospace industry.
DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. (DRS Canada), is a leading mid-tier Canadian defence electronics company specializing in military voice and data communications systems; electro-optics (EO) and infrared search and tracking systems (IRST); command, control, communications, computers and intelligence (C4I) systems integration; deployable flight data recorders; and defence/space electronics manufacturing.
We currently have an opening for Hardware Engineers to contribute in the development of the next generation of the Shipboard Integrated Communication System (SHINCOM) and Automatic Deployable Flight Recorder product lines. In particular, we are looking for a highly motivated Hardware Engineer who will spend the majority of time designing mixed-signal circuit boards containing current generation microprocessors, analog audio and communication interface circuits, and power supplies. The ideal candidate would be highly skilled in the hardware design process and have a keen aptitude for solving complex problems through the design and debug of hardware.
Major Roles and Responsibilities:
- With minimal supervision demonstrates a solid technical baseline of all required skills.
- Responsible for scheduling own work in keeping with project time lines and technical specifications.
- Detects potential problems in advance and reports them to the Project/Team Leader
- Organizes and produces requirements, specification and test technical documents for all phases of the hardware life cycle.
- Contributes towards project planning documents, test plans, procedures and test cases for all levels of testing.
- Contributes to major technical sections of proposals.
- Makes presentations to management and customers on project or technical matters.
- Participates in progress reviews with internal/external customers and implements corrective actions, as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. This may include assuming project leadership responsibility on one or more technical programs.
- Has a professional attitude.
- Ability to produce quality technical work.
- Excellent design, programming and debugging skills.
- Demonstrates effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to translate requirements into working solutions
- Knowledgeable of all phases of hardware design from requirements to productization.
- Works effectively as a member of a team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- 3+ years of professional experience in hardware related projects.
- Recent experience designing microprocessor type circuit boards with current generation CPUs (GHz + cores).
- Experience implementing communication oriented ASICs.
- Experience with Analog interfaces for high definition audio.
- PowerPC or PowerQUICC experience is considered desirable.
- Familiarity designing high speed serial and parallel digital interfaces for DDR, PCIe, Rapid IO, SerDes at rates up to 3.125GHz.
- Familiar with signal integrity issues and simulation (Hyperlynx experience desirable)
- Ability to work with multiple types of hardware and to assist with software integration.
- Familiarity with software and hardware tools and off-the-shelf packages that can be utilized for system development. Experience with DxDesigner/Expedition tool flow is desirable.
- Ability to design and implement complex logic functions in FPGAs using VHDL.
- Familiarity with Altera devices and tools desirable.
- Knowledge of equipment qualification to MIL standards is highly desirable (shock, vibration, radiated and conducted emissions, temperature, humidity)
- Good knowledge of new and developing technologies.
- Ability to read and understand engineering specifications and drawings.
- Computer literate with advanced knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada and meet Controlled Goods Clearance requirements; a minimum of 5-years continuous residence in Canada and a police background check are mandatory.
Special needs of candidates with disabilities will be accommodated. DRS is dedicated to Employment Equity. The successful candidate(s) must fulfill requirements for U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP) and Canadian security clearance. DRS Technologies Canada Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants may apply to this position online at www.leonardodrs.com careers. #DRSCanada