INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS INTEGRATION ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense.
This position will be responsible for providing technical and engineering oversight in support of the design, integration, installation, test and evaluation of all Internal Communications systems aboard the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) ship class. This equipment will include, but is not limited to the:
• Telephone System;
• Public Address System;
• Alarm System;
• Sound Powered Communication System; and
• Entertainment System.
To fulfil this role the Internal Communications Integration Engineer will provide insight regarding the design of these systems, their function within the Combat System (CS) and be responsible for ensuring that fully compliant CSC solutions are provided in accordance with sound engineering practice. This position will participate in the CSC Integrated Product Teams (IPT) structure, in partnership with the Combat Systems Integrator (CSI) and will be a Point of Contact (POC) within the ISI CSC team for all Ships Internal Communications Systems.
This is a full time, permanent staff role (one opening) located in Halifax N.S.
- Degree in a discipline of engineering (Electronics, Communications, Electrical preferred) or equivalent experience and be a Professional Engineer or able to obtain the designation.
- Post graduate qualifications in systems engineering or equivalent experience
A minimum of five years’ experience in the following fields:
- Engineering on large and complex defense engineering projects
- Coordination with multiple complex organizations
- Extensive knowledge on the design, integration, installation and test of Internal Communication Systems
- Knowledge of complex systems integration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Understanding of Combat System Architecture
Experience in the following fields would be preferred:
- Experience in engineering for Naval platforms
- Understanding of ship construction
- Experience working in design, production and or test on a ship construction program.
- Develop plans, procedures, and processes in support of all Internal Comms related program requirements.
- Participate in the Comms & Nav IS (CIS) IPT to ensure a complete and fully compliant Internal Comms suite is provided in accordance with relevant governing standards and CSC requirements applicable to Internal Comms systems.
- Provide engineering oversight and guidance during requirements definition, design, integration, and test activities of Internal Comms equipment to ensure that fully compliant and certified solutions are provided in accordance with sound engineering practice.
- Act as a subject matter expert and provide technical expertise to support the development and compliance of all aspects of the Internal Comms design, function, integration, and test to ensure optimal system solutions.
- Support the coordination of scheduling, planning and conduct of integration activities in support of related program milestones.
- Provide expertise, knowledge and insight into the development and / or review of design and products to support integration, installation and test of Internal Comms equipment.
- Provide knowledge and insight into the operational employment of Internal Comms equipment.
- Ensure performance compliance of the Internal Comms solutions.
- Provide accurate status reports on assigned activities to the CIS Team Lead.
- Provide support in evaluating engineering change proposals submitted by the sub-contractors to ensure that performance, cost, schedule and Canadian Content impacts or risks to integration activities are understood and recorded.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with internal (Shipyard Production, CSC Program personnel) and external stakeholders (subcontractors and Canadian government representatives).
- Support a culture of teamwork, pro-activeness, and enthusiasm within the Combat System team, and be a role model for professional behaviour.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision