TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
Our Accelerator Complex is comprised of state of the art systems which include a 520 MeV Cyclotron, the TRIUMF Isotope Separator and Accelerator (ISAC) facility, a TR13 cyclotron, the SRF e-linac, and ARIEL RIB facility. In support of our Accelerator Operations, we are currently accepting applications for entry level Operator to join our existing team of dedicated and fully qualified Operators. You will receive formal on-the-job training and will also be trained and designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker, and as our operations run 24/7 you will be required to work a rotating shift schedule.
You will perform complex and diversified duties that primarily involve the delivery of beam to research experiments and occasionally the maintenance and troubleshooting of the beam transport and accelerator systems, which include electro-mechanical devices, cooling services, vacuum systems, power supplies and computer controls. While not required, familiarity with accelerator control applications, LINUX OS, Python programming and other LINUX scripting languages would be a definite asset. Your duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Following well defined procedures, will start up and operate accelerator systems and associated beamlines to deliver beam safely, reliably and timely for scheduled experiments
- Monitoring the particle source, beam transport and accelerator systems to compensate for drifts and make routine beam changes as required for optimal production
- Monitoring ancillary system parameters important to the operation of the accelerator and responding to alarms
- Using prescribed troubleshooting procedures, will identify fault conditions, issue fault reports, and attempt to solve problems
- Maintaining clear and timely communication with users and Control Rooms as needed
- Documenting activities in an electronic logbook, and performing data entry for performance records
- Issuing work permits for approved maintenance activities, and processing work permits as needed
- Assisting with site security and emergency response activities where applicable, and within job scope
Our ideal candidates have the ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team, combined with strong communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Other qualifications include:
- Safety awareness, with demonstrated mechanical and electrical aptitudes
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build effective relationships
- Flexibility to deal with changing priorities, and the ability to systematically and reliably respond to critical situations
- Capability to show good technical knowledge of mechanical and/or electrical systems
- BCIT Diploma or equivalent in a relevant engineering technology program such as mechanical, electrical, mechatronics, or robotics, or a relevant undergrad degree in a related science or engineering discipline. Equivalent combinations of education, training, and experience will also be considered
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity https://www.rarestdrug.com/
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to email@example.com and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 793
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: September 30, 2020
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.