The Junior Financial Analyst is primarily responsible for ensuring the accurate and timely cost transaction tracking of Federal Fleet Renewal (“FFR”) programs and for supporting the delivery of general accounting, business analytics and financial services by the Shipyards Finance Department. The position also assists in the preparation of reports for various stakeholders and contributes to the meeting of the financial reporting requirements within the established deadlines.
Federal Fleet Renewal Cost Transactions
- Analyze and classify cost transaction data extracted from various systems, which include but are not limited to: timekeeping applications, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne (JDE) General Ledger, material requirements planning system, and various spreadsheets.
- Perform manual calculations and/or verify the accuracy of automated and system-generated revenue calculations.
- Assemble cost database files and supporting documentation by compiling data from various sources, or by preparing supporting schedules/calculations.
- Perform reconciliations and resolve data discrepancies to ensure accuracy of customer invoices.
- Liaise with operational and financial personnel on relevant invoicing information.
- Assist in ensuring adherence to internal policies and controls that support the current processes.
- Update various databases needed, identify any anomalies and perform/recommend corrective and preventive actions.
Financial Close Process
- Support the Shipyards Finance team in completing month/quarter/year-end financial close process.
- Receive and review revenue and cost accrual information from PMO and process journal entries.
- Assist in preparing division scorecards and KPI reports.
Financial Analysis & Operational Support
- Support the Shipyards Finance group in delivering financial analyses, modelling, budgeting, forecasting and accounting services.
- Provide ad-hoc analyses in response to queries or to support various initiatives.
- Participate in process and procedure documentation.
- Contribute to process improvement efforts.
- Complete Statistics Canada requests for information and reports and submits to Accounting Manager for review and sign off.
- Prepare year-end accounting schedules and working papers as required; including providing assistance in the preparation of additional working papers requested by the Accounting Manager for the annual external audit.
- Assists in any external audits or review (i.e., Assurances Canada, SRED, etc.).
Education and Experience
- Candidate preferred to be in the process obtaining a CPA designation
- Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Commerce.
- 3 years of progressive accounting and financial analysis experience, focus on revenue and cost accounting, or complex billing/invoicing preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Proven ability to prepare a variety of financial statements, reports and analyses.
- Strong understanding of accounting concepts (particularly accruals and deferrals).
- Strong analytical skills and ability to complete accurate reviews of detailed information.
- Understanding of program/project management concepts and terminology.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with the ability to work under tight deadlines.
- A self-starter, ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Intermediate computer skills, advanced Excel skills (macros, pivot table, lookups) and experience working with relational database programs.
- Working knowledge on enterprise resource programs (ERP); preference given to those with experience using JD Edwards Enterprise One and SAP Business Objects Web Intelligence or similar applications.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey information to audiences with non-financial/accounting backgrounds.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities and be a team player.
- Customer service oriented, with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with multiple client groups.
- Must be able to meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program and Canadian Security clearance.