|Title||Lead Cook (Casual)|
|Facility Name||Langley Seniors Village (LSV)|
|Job Category||Facility Support Services [Dietary Aides / Servers][Cooks / Chefs][Support Service Workers][Maintenance]|
|Position Summary||Reporting to the Chef/food Service Manager, and/or designate, the Lead Cook is responsible for the preparation and / or directing the preparation of meals from a designated menu, maintenance of a safe sanitary workplace, inventory control and ensuring the smooth operation of assigned area(s).|
|Responsibilities||Include but not limited to;|
1. Responsible for the production and service of menus using standardized recipes ensuring standard department policies, procedures and safe food handling techniques are used at all times.
2. Coordinates the activities and work flow during production, presentation / service and clean up of assigned staff and area(s).
3. Ensures the proper preparation, delivery and service of food to ensure safety of residents, guests and the public. Performs audits testing palatability and temperature and takes corrective action as necessary.
4. Estimates food requirements according to the needs of the facility, orders and receives supplies as per established purchasing practices, resolves discrepancies with suppliers as required.
5. Establishes and ensures maintenance of food rotations in storage / inventory in order to minimize spoilage and waste.
6. Practices and maintains cleanliness and sanitation according to required standards set by the Health Department and the facility.
7. Assists the Food Services Manager in the organization and evaluation of Food Services and staff to ensure a continual high standard of Food Services.
8. Promotes and maintains positive communication and relationships among management, staff, residents, and the public.
9. In the absence of the Food Service Manager, is responsible for the supervision of department production and service, staff, including direction of staff, interdepartmental communications, and emergencies.
10. Other related duties as required
|Qualifications||1. Grade 12 or equivalent|
2. Graduation from a recognized program in cooking or equivalent combination of education and experience.
3. “Food Safe Level 1” Certificate / “Food Safe Level 2” preferred
4. Knowledge and experience with cooking, butchery, baking, kitchen equipment and machine
5. Two years’ experience in hotels, restaurants or institution
6. One year or more years of supervisory experience is required
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position and operate related equipment
2. An aptitude toward detail and creativity with good planning and organizational skills
3. Ability to develop and maintain harmonious relationship with all levels of personnel and residents
4. Ability to work independently and follow instructions with minimal supervision
5. Ability to communicated well in written and oral English
6. Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy, empathy and patience when working with staff and residents