Lead Financial Officer, BMO InvestorLine-1900007158
The Lead Financial Officer is accountable to support the management of the business/function within the group, providing advice and service to the Senior Leadership Team on financial management activities (including legal entities where applicable) to facilitate the achievement of financial goals while maintaining BMO’s governance standards. This role will act as a financial centre of competence and strategic partner for the business/function supporting short, medium and long term objectives and providing decision support, including information, expertise, advice and recommendations on opportunities and exposures. The Lead Financial Officer will monitor performance against financial plans, forecasts, initiatives and objectives, escalating issues as required.
Financial and Business Analysis
- Review financial results to ensure completeness and accuracy on a timely basis
- Provide future-oriented analysis to project short, medium and long-term requirements in a timely manner to acceptable quality standards.
- Identify and/or critically assess opportunities for profit improvement, determining the financial impact of initiatives/ strategic business decisions, and incorporating impact into future financial forecasts/plans.
- Work with the business/function to align key performance indicators with the financial forecasts/plans
- Ensure financial forecasts/plans reflect any changes in the internal and external business environments
- Work with the business and functional partners across BMO Financial Group to resolve issues and solve problems, ensuring solutions are consistent, aligned and supportive of business and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership, coaching, and context setting to create a high performing team while developing talent
- Align tasks and assignments with departmental goals and objectives through planning, leadership, and direction to team employees.
- Develop talent/increase the effectiveness and performance of allocated resources by identifying and working with direct reports to close individual gaps through development plans, quarterly performance discussions and annual career discussions
- Establish a strong two way working relationship with Finance peers within your group to maintain highest quality governance, drive talent development and deliver on overall group finance objectives
- Optimize group finance performance through collaboration, communication, and clarity of accountabilities.
- Work with Finance shared service teams for reporting, planning and forecasting requirements, setting appropriate context and driving continuous improvement
- Apply the Bank’s performance management system in assessing finance individual performance assessments for direct report and shared service resources, including establishing goals and objectives, assessing skilled knowledge gaps, assessing personal effectiveness, and reviewing and recommending performance ratings, base pay increases and variable pay.
Client and Relationship Management
- Build strong relationships and provide value-add advice to ensure that the business/function financial needs, goals and strategies are understood and incorporated into financial strategies, plans, forecasts and initiatives.
- Participate in the strategic planning process of the business/function, utilizing an in-depth understanding to provide recommendations.
- Manage the coordination & analysis of financial and operational highlights of the business/function including financial reporting, forecasting and planning, ensuring the continuous improvement of financial information presented to senior executives and consistent, standardized reporting across the business/function.
- Act as a finance subject matter expertise to support the design, development and implementation of initiatives/projects, understanding the requirements of the business/function within the overall group strategy.
- Work with the business/function to develop, maintain, manage and report key metrics to track and analyze performance against commitments.
- Ensure the effective implementation of Bank initiatives and programs for business/function by providing relevant information, establishing goals where applicable and measuring progress against goals/commitments.
Risk Management, Control and Financial Governance
- Co-ordinate financial governance, compliance and attestation reporting where applicable.
- Provide finance specific subject matter expertise to the business/function in the assessment of the financial performance and the condition of the business/function and attestations.
- Review financial information for reasonableness and flag areas of interest to CFO and business/function leader to ensure results are understood and opportunities and areas of concern are properly addressed in a timely manner.
- Ensure financial integrity of financial plans and forecasts
Change and Innovation
- Support the operationalization of business/function change initiatives to ensure optimal effectiveness and efficiency from a finance perspective.
- As a member of the group finance leadership team, collaborate with finance colleagues and lead/support changes within the finance team
Knowledge and Skills
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in business, economics, engineering, or science/math discipline is required
- Accounting designation is preferred, but not required – CA, CGA, CMA
- 10+ years’ experience in a Finance function in financial services.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present ideas to all levels in a clear, concise and compelling manner
- Strong relationship management skills.
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and practices, financial reporting, and financial analysis.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with senior management, team members and other internal/external colleagues
- Demonstrated ability to work on problems/projects where the field analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of multiple factors
- Flexible, adaptable and highly motivated
- Sound judgmet and decisive with an ability to prioritize competing demand by applying practical and analytic approaches to problem solving
- Professional team player who thrives in a dynamic environment
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and networkbuilding opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.