Make an impression in a global consulting firm ranked #7 in the Top 500 Design Firms & #10 in the Top 50 International Market
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions has a global network of engineers, scientists and project managers, we apply ingenuity, innovative technologies and customer focus to deliver solutions for complex environmental and infrastructure challenges. We are a diverse business, with around 7,600 people in about 175 offices spanning six continents. From engineering resilient facilities to restoring contaminated sites, we provide support across the life cycle of our customers’ assets in the government, industrial and manufacturing, mining, power, infrastructure, and oil and gas sectors.
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking a Lead Geotechnical Engineer to lead the growth and development of our geotechnical engineering business for our Red Deer office. The ideal candidate will be capable of overseeing engineers and technologists, and ensuring delivering of geotechnical and materials testing services to the local industry.
The Lead Geotechnical Engineer will be responsible for the operational management and continued growth of the Red Deer geotechnical business, including the oversight on technical quality, and delivery on projects. These responsibilities will be delivered within a framework that manages risks and prioritizes safety. We are seeking an individual with a strong operational background and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate will have the ability to thrive in a dynamic, challenging environment, and provide sound leadership. As a key player in the organization, you will have input in the overall direction of the Red Deer office.
- Provide team leadership and ensure consistently high-quality deliverables which satisfy client expectations
- Provide direct supervision and mentorship to junior engineers and technologists
- Build, mentor and maintain a high level of team performance
- Lead business development with new and existing clients, establish and maintain client relationships
- Develop and implement new business and marketing goals
- Prioritize project workloads and the management of internal resources
- Effectively communicate, reinforce and model company policies and procedures
- Effectively communicate with staff, clients and management
- Oversee multiple geotechnical and material testing projects simultaneously, in order to deliver high quality projects on time and within budget
- Participate in marketing efforts; prepare and present technical proposals
- Participate in the preparation or review of technical reports
- Provide Safety Leadership
- Excellent leadership, management and business development skills
- Self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain client relationships
- Bachelor degree in Geotechnical or Civil engineering (or equivalent); Advanced degree is considered an asset
- Currently registered or immediately eligible for registration with APEGA
- A minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in geotechnical/material engineering
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Project management experience in a consulting environment, including experience with project budgeting, cost forecasting
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrated business management capabilities
- Environmental engineering experience considered an asset
- Experience providing geotechnical recommendations for infrastructure and commercial/industrial projects preferred
- Experience in material testing industry, including soil, asphalt, and concrete testing
- Demonstrated ability to manage operations and develop a team internally
- Preference will be given to individuals with experience in the Red Deer market
Why Red Deer?
Red Deer is Alberta’s third largest city. It is located halfway between Calgary and Edmonton, and less than 30 minutes from the summer Paradise of Sylvan Lake. It is a young, vibrant and fast growing city of approximately 100,000 residents. The median age is under 35 years. Residents and visitors enjoy exploring more than 110 km of trails that traverse the Waskasoo Park System, participate or watch sports, while discovering unique attractions and attending a variety of cultural events.
Living in Red Deer you benefit from access to top-notch amenities without the big-city crowds. Commutes to work are a treat compared to the neighboring metropolises to the north and south. Red Deer has an abundance of choices for schooling and is home to Red Deer College.
Red Deer is a great place for an individual looking for a place to lay down roots, or for a family looking for a great place to raise their children and be part of a community with a small town feel.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 60,000 people, with revenues of over $10 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets, including the upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, power & process, environment and infrastructure, clean energy, mining, nuclear, and general industrial sectors. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.