Location: Winnipeg Logistics Service Centre, 100 Murray Park Road
Status: Term (Up to 9 Months)
Shift: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (12:30pm to 9:00pm)
As a Lead Hand - Grocery, Nights, at The North West Company (NWC) you will facilitate department goals under the direction of the Supervisor.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
- Provide assistance to the Supervisor, Grocery with the selection of goods and other Grocery functions as needed and report any issues to the Team Lead;
- Pick grocery items according to store orders as an active member of the team;
- Operate appropriate powered equipment to pick or stock items;
- Coordinate the production flow by ensuring employees are working in their assigned areas;
- Provide ongoing assistance to the grocery selectors during the shift to solve issues and create a cooperative working environment;
- Maintain professional and proactive communication with all department staff, internal and external customers;
- Ensure all employees are working and maintaining a safe work environment as per Health and Safety Legislation and policies; Report any violations and potential hazards to the Supervisor;
- Perform quality control checks and freight inspections as required by the Grocery Manager;
- Ensure selectors are stacking and building pallets suitable for the transportation chain, and are following best practices at the Logistics Centre;
- Locate missing goods and ensures immediate actions are taken to resolve potential shortages;
- Works with the Grocery Supervisor to reduce the amount of re-handling of product when building pallets;
- Perform spot checks to ensure loads are securely wrapped and positioned properly in staging lanes;
- Work in coordination with the Grocery Supervisor on the selection and staging of products throughout the facility, shipping department on staging zones, and the Maintenance Manager on equipment issues; and
- Monitor and prioritize the Grocery flow of all outbound goods from the Winnipeg Logistics Service Centre (WLSC).
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Able to work quickly and efficiently to complete responsibilities and consistently meet production requirements;
- Experience in delegating and task assignment an asset;
- Previous experience working with warehouse management systems (WMS) an asset;
- Forklift Certification or ability to obtain certification is considered as an asset;
- Experience with standard operating procedures for warehouse operations an asset;
- Intermediate proficiency in MS Office applications with emphasis on Excel, Word, Outlook;
- Order picking experience in a fast-paced, food warehouse environment is considered an asset;
- Capable of lifting up to 70 lbs. unaided on a regular basis;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workloads;
- Ability to deal with employee concerns in a professional and confidential manner;
- Customer driven with demonstrated customer service skills;
- Ability to work efficiently in a team or independently;
- Proven attention to detail and ability to follow instructions accurately; and
- Must be available on short notice to work other shifts and hours for coverage of Supervisors vacation and illness as required.
Reports To: Supervisor, Grocery for appropriate shift
You may include your resume and cover letter together as a single document. A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.