Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Technology works as a strategic partner with Morgan Stanley business units and the world's leading technology companies to redefine how we do business in ever more global, complex, and dynamic financial markets. Morgan Stanley's sizeable investment in technology results in quantitative trading systems, cutting-edge modelling and simulation software, comprehensive risk and security systems, and robust client-relationship capabilities, plus the worldwide infrastructure that forms the backbone of these systems and tools. Our insights, our applications and infrastructure give a competitive edge to clients' businesses—and to our own.
Corporate and Funding Technology is comprised of three primary areas:
Operations & Risk, Corporate and Client Financing.
- Operations & Risk helps the Firm’s businesses while maintaining a strong risk profile. The group includes Operations, Funding, Finance and Risk Technology.
- Corporate improves our operating environment and is made up of Legal, Compliance & Corporate Governance, Digital & Corporate Communications and Human Resources Technology groups.
- Client Financing platforms provide technology and service to our hedge fund and Asia high-net-worth clients. Groups include Prime Brokerage, Private Wealth Management Asia and Counterparty Risk Technology.
The Firm-wide model control system is the cornerstone of the Firm's model risk management, used by front-office, control and oversight functions. With increased regulatory attention to model risk management, the system was largely re-written using the latest technologies. This is a high-profile system, with visibility at the highest levels of the Firm. While a lot of work has been completed, there is a number of related systems still need to be redesigned and connected. We are also planning to continue extending the core system.
We are looking for an experienced, hands-on lead Java developer to work in a team of 10-11 people. Depending on the qualifications and experience he/she will be expected to lead a significant part or even all of the team.
Members on our team have access to the business unit and have direct input into software design. Therefore the candidate needs to be a self-starter, smart, and a highly motivated team player with clear communication skills. In addition, the candidate must value producing quality software and have a solid grounding in computer science fundamentals.
We would prefer someone who can assume responsibility for a number of sub-components and lead, oversee and mentor other developers working in these areas. The right candidate should enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment that values team work and offers a lot of flexibility as long as productivity and quality are there.
The required skills are:
- Very strong analytical and problem solving abilities
- Ability to manage a small to medium size team (4-10) people
- Ability to organize and prioritize development work and plan the release schedules
- Experience with effort estimation and project planning
- Excellent communication skills
- Very strong knowledge of software design principles: MVC, data structures, graph data, algorithms, design patterns, multi-threading, caching, recursion
- Expert knowledge of core Java: class loading, garbage collection, Java collections API, Reflections API, Java 8 Streams and Functional Programming
- Strong knowledge of Object Relation Mapping technologies: JPA/Hibernate
- Strong knowledge of common Java frameworks (Spring, JSR-303, Logback, Junit, Apache Commons)
- Strong Knowledge of Relational Databases and SQL
Nice to have:
- BDD (behavior-driven development) with jBehave
- TDD (test driven development)
- GIT source code management
- Gradle, Jenkins automated build processes
- Representation state transfer (RESTful Web services)
- Enterprise Java: JAX-RS, JTA, Jetty/Tomcat
- HTTP, XML, JSON
- Liquibase database schema management
Knowledge of French and English is required.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximize their full potential.