Client ID: 274990
Leader of Application Maintenance and Support
On behalf of our client, Procom is seeking a for a Permanent role in Edmonton, Alberta.
Leader of Application Maintenance and Support Job Details
- The Leader of Application Maintenance and Support is a senior member of the IS Operations team, alongside other members that represent End User Support Services, Infrastructure Management and Support, Security Operations, Technology Change and Release Management and Technology Business Relationship reporting to the VP IS Operations. The group reports to the CIO and works with other CIO reports as follows: Takes strategic and architectural direction from IS Strategy organization. Operates and maintains technology that is delivered from a DevOps organization. Ensures technology is managed in alignment to defined security controls by the IS Risk and Security organization.
- Within the group, the Leader of Application Maintenance and Support is accountable for planning, budgeting, sourcing, implementation and 7x24 operations of enterprise applications in order to meet business needs, as defined and measured by service level agreements. Scope includes: Maintenance and Support of Enterprise COTS Applications Support of Enterprise Developed Applications Maintenance and Support of Databases and Systems
Leader of Application Maintenance and Support Responsibilities
- Duties include, but are not limited to: Vendor Management of technology within scope above.
- Maintenance and Support of technology within scope above.
- Capacity and Performance Management of technology within scope above.
- Automated and manual monitoring and alerting of technology within scope above.
- Multi-year budgeting and planning of technology within scope above.
- Evaluation of vendor and sourcing options within scope above.
- Management of technology and sourcing vendors within scope above.
- Member of the Change Advisory Board and Release Advisory Board.
- Leadership and management of support teams.
- Define, implement and measure Operations Services that underpin business facing Service Level Agreements.
- Act as a Major Incident Outage Manager as needed.
· Keep abreast of changing application maintenance and database technology and propose adoption when appropriate.
· Ensure the client has adequate support resources by making sure team members have the knowledge and training required to support the clients systems.
· Work with team members and management to develop new policies/procedures/standards essential for maintaining the daily operations of the area.
· Participate in the hiring process including reviewing resumes, interviewing candidates, and suggesting new hires.
- Advise Leaders on existing and emerging technical issues and present possible solutions.
· Provide leadership to the team in the resolution of ongoing problems and determine possible solutions and make recommendations.
· Collaborate, plan and coordinate resources with project teams for priority projects.
· Plan and lead new application projects as required
· Provide a 3rd tier of support for more complex problems and incidents.
· Collaborate with other teams such as Architecture, DevOps Automation and Quality Assurance design analysis and implementation planning.
· Accountable for ensuring team is responding to and resolving production incidents on time and with quality results.
· Absorb DevOps Delivery changes into the operational team, by ensuring that adequate knowledge transfer and escalation procedures are in place.
· Design and implement redundant support, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery in cooperation with external Vendors.
· Provide feedback to business and delivery on application improvements (e.g. performance, error handling, production issues).
· Identify and lead the implementation of COTS maintenance changes, in consideration of business, security and support needs.
· Required to lead and manage proactive monitoring and planning ensuring all Applications are current and up to date with patches, upgrades and security stance
· Participate in budgeting exercises and assisting in forecasting costs.
· Represents the team in Change Advisory Board and Release meetings.
· Assist in developing Operating Level Agreements and Service Level Agreements between the team and other departments and outside partners.
· Maintain Operations Documentation.
Team Resource Planning, and Mentoring
· Mentor team members on technical and non-technical topics.
· Delegate tasks to team leads or members.
· Monitor progress of assigned tasks.
· Provide timely updates to Leaders of operational issues, progress and recommendations.
· Maintain the on call roster for the team to ensure there is always a point of contact available to respond (during service support hours).
· Provide advanced technical support when required and appropriate.
· Provide leadership and coaching to team leads on technical and management topics.
· Provide performance feedback for team leads, recognizing high performance and rewarding accomplishments.
· Establish an open dialog with teams to encourage feedback and new ideas to achieve positive outcomes.
· Encourage creativity and risk taking.
- Cultivate a unique identity for the team with an open communication culture.
Systems Purchasing/Technical Support Maintenance/Vendor Relationship Maintenance
· Build and manage relationships with vendors and partners.
· Manage effective escalation with vendors and business as required.
· Ensure the client has appropriate levels of vendor support.
· Provide input into the procurement of goods and services as per the clients purchasing procedures.
· Be a point of contact for Vendor’s to the technical team.
· Develop and maintain Vendor contact information for supported applications.
· Conduct the above in conjunction with the VP IS Operations
Leader of Application Maintenance and Support Mandatory Skills
· Minimum of five years management experience and five years total experience in managing or leading an application maintenance and support team.
· A senior resource with a background in Software engineering
· 5 + years of experience in Software Development/Cloud Computing
· Knowledge of at least 1 programing language: C#, Python, Java, Go
· An understanding of full stack development (Infrastructure/Network/Application)
· Understanding of Infrastructure as Code and Network as Code methodology and tooling (Terraform, CloudFormation, vRealize)
· An understanding of Configuration management (Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
· An understanding of Containers (Docker, Kubernetes, OpenShift)
· A deep understanding of DevOps and Agile thinking ? Strong analytical skills and an aspiring mind
· Should understand IaaS, PaaS, SaaS and CaaS concepts
· Experience leading projects and/or teams
· Experience working in ‘on-premise’ hosted environments and understand the concepts of virtualization (VMware, Hyper-V)
· Experience working with public clouds such as AWS/Azure/GCP
· Deep understanding of cloud computing and its advantages, but can also understand why a hybrid model is implemented
· Understanding of CI/CD process and tooling (Jenkins, Github, Gitlab, Spinnaker, Etc…)
· Knowledge of API communication methods
· Understanding of what a digital transformation is
· Minimum five years’ experience working within IS teams in a medium to large sized organization.
· Experience managing multiple teams is highly valuable.
· Experience managing contracts is considered highly valuable.
· Financial sector experience (preferably in banking) is considered highly valuable.
· Experience managing major incident outages is considered highly valuable.
· Experience managing complex application performance issues is considered highly valuable
· University, college or technical degree in information technology, computer science, software engineering or combination of education and experience.
· Alternatively, extensive proven track record in the position’s primary responsibility areas within the Financial Sector.
· ITIL v3 Foundations Certification is required.
- ITIL v3 Service Operation or equivalent is considered an asset
Leader of Application Maintenance and Support Assignment Length
Leader of Application Maintenance and Support Location
Leader of Application Maintenance and Support Start Date