We have an amazing opportunity available to join a small but mighty team here at the Port of Vancouver. We are Canada's largest and most diversified port, stretching along 360 kilometres of shoreline and waterways and bordering on 16 municipalities. We lead the efficient and reliable movement of cargo and passengers, annually trading $184 billion in goods with more than 160 trading economies.
The Legal Counsel position is responsible for the provision of a wide variety of legal services including drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, managing real estate and corporate transactions and advising on other matters typical in a general solicitor practice.
In this role, the successful candidate will:
• Provide technical legal services, including negotiating legal rights and obligations on behalf of the
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (VFPA), drafting contracts and other documents and supporting
the VFPA in legal and administrative proceedings
• Counsel and advise the VFPA in the protection and on matters of statutory interpretation, their
affect on its assets, people and liabilities.
• Make recommendations on VFPA policies, practices and proposed courses of action, having regard
to the legal and practical consequences
• Advise the VFPA on matters relating to its constituting documents, including their interpretation
and application, ongoing review and recommendations of amendments
• Advise the VFPA on trends and new developments in the law that are of interest or concern
• Assist with the Legal Services business planning process and operating budget preparation and
The ideal candidate will:
• Possess a Law Degree from a recognized university
• Be eligible for membership in the Law Society of BC
• Have a minimum of three years solicitor’s experience working in a law firm or corporate legal
• Possess general corporate and real estate experience
• Be eligible to apply for and obtain Marine Transportation Security Clearance as a requirement of
• Have an excellent command of the English language, both written and verbal
Experience with Indigenous and or environmental law would be an asset.
Your exceptional interpersonal and communication skills that drive collaborative working relationships is paramount. Being able to understand the complexities of and provide practical advice on VFPA objectives and possessing a discerning lens when it comes to evaluating and understanding the long term impact of decisions is key to success in the role. You are a self-starter who is comfortable managing a breadth of responsibilities with limited oversight.
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is dedicated to employment equity and a workplace reflective of the diversity of our community.