Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: Visiting Nursing
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: NSNU
On Call: No
Portability of Seniority as per NSNU Agreement
Are you passionate about helping people in your community live every day to the fullest? A career at VON is more than just a job. It’s an opportunity to use your talents to make a difference.
VON is looking for Nurses who have strong critical thinking skills, and who enjoy working independently, continuous learning, and working to full scope!
Our Licensed Practical Nurses provide nursing care to children, youth, adults, and seniors who require medical care in their homes.
- To provide and manage high quality and effective nursing care to all individuals who are assigned to your care
- Responsible to teach and delegate tasks and functions to different levels of workers and to family members and others in accordance with the standards and scope of practice as determined by VON and the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
- Provides complete, relevant assessment of the client and family and their environment utilizing established procedures
- Selects and implements strategies or interventions from established care plans in consultation with the client and/or caregiver and health care team.
- Promotes the involvement of the client family in determining health and service needs.
- Comply with all standards, policies, procedures and legislative requirements
- Participates in the development of health policies and nursing practice standards through involvement in VON, professional organizations, and community organizations
- Registration with NSCN and a graduate from an accredited school of nursing
- Clinical practice experience is an asset.
- Experience in community health is an asset.
- Ability to observe and make effective assessments of clinical issues.
- Able to initiate and support health teaching, facilitation, and development.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal relationship building skills with the ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to problem solve and to adapt to nursing interventions as appropriate.
- The capacity to adhere to strict confidentially.
- Effective time management skills that allow for the independent planning and organizing of daily work activity
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required.
- Available to work flexible hours.
- Must able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.