Job DescriptionJob Title: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Operating Room - Training OpportunityWork Site: Operating Rooms - Lions Gate Hospital Status: Regular Full TimeStart Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $27.87 - $31.15 per hourHours: 07:00-15:00/07:30-15:30/07:30-18:00/15:00-23:00/23:00-07:00 & on callReference#: 118160-esa
Please note that a cover letter and resume are required to apply for this specialty training opportunity.Should there be insufficient qualified candidates available for the above position, VCH may fund post-basic training education. Eligibility for the LPN Perioperative Specialty Training Program is restricted to applicants with recent acute medical/surgical experience. Preference will be given to applicants with a minimum of 2 year recent acute medical/surgical experience. Applicants must successfully complete the post-basic training education prior to working in the Department.The post-basic training education program requires full time attendance. Funding will consist of 100% of wages, tuition and books during the training program.Full time training: Sept 30, 2019 to March 6, 2020. Mandatory program orientation day: Sept 17, 2019.
JOB SUMMARY:Practices in accordance with the standards, scope and code of ethics as outlined by the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP) for a Licensed Practical Nurse as well as within a client and family centred care model and the vision and values of the organization. Provides practical nursing services in a team nursing approach in an operating room environment as a member of an integrated surgical team performing varied and complex surgical interventions. Consults, confers, and collaborates with other members of the surgical team in facilitating safe and effective surgical interventions through performance of circulating and scrubbing duties in accordance with established standards and protocols. This includes pre-operative, operative, and post-operative activities such as assessing, planning, implementing, evaluating and documenting client care, and providing support to clients and their families. Demonstrates advanced practical nursing skills and techniques. Maintains and advances own clinical competence.QUALIFICATIONS:Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized program for Practical Nurses with the full range of current licensed practical nursing competencies, and graduation from an accredited operating room program for Licensed Practical Nurses plus two years’ recent, related experience working as a Licensed Practical Nurse in acute care, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current practicing registration as a Licensed Practical Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Current basic cardiac life support certification.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to apply principles of licensed practical nursing practice in an operating room environment for a variety of surgical specialties such as general surgery, urology, gynecology, plastics, ophthalmology, ears/nose/throat, vascular surgery and orthopedics:
- Demonstrated knowledge of perioperative nursing roles, techniques, standards, instrumentation, supply, equipment requirements and safe medication practices for a wide variety of surgical procedures within the operating room.
- Demonstrated ability to perform scrubbing duties in accordance with established standards and protocols. (i.e. maintenance of sterile field, instrument preparation, passing and care during surgery, draping, surgical count, specimen care).
- Demonstrated ability to perform circulating duties in accordance with established standards and protocols. (i.e. focused assessment, surgical count, assisting anesthesia including assisting with induction, emergence, patient positioning, patient preparation, circulating role immediately prior to, during and post-procedure, specimen care).
- Demonstrated ability to practice and advocate for principles of asepsis and sterile conscience in the scrub role, circulator role and immediate post-operative care setting in a team nursing approach.
- Demonstrated ability to practice in a safe and ethical manner according to OR Policies and Procedures, Hospital/Regional Policy, ORNAC Standards and BCCNP Standards for Nursing Practice. Has knowledge of and accesses appropriate resources embedded within the service delivery model to support nursing practice. Knows when and how to seek out clinical support and guidance as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize potential complications and care issues relevant to the designated client group by alerting the RN and/or most responsible provider.
- Demonstrated understanding of roles/responsibilities of team members, geography, function, traffic patterns, and supplies/equipment process in the departments that make up peri-operative services.
- Demonstrated ability to operate equipment (i.e. suctions, lights, laparoscopic instruments, electrosurgery unit (ESU), and pneumatic tourniquet) according to manufacturers’ instructions and ensure instruments and equipment function safely and in an appropriate manner including following procedure for repairs, replacement and/or removal from use.
- Demonstrated ability to document client care including relevant assessments and interventions and responses on appropriate systems/forms in accordance with organizational and unit standards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrated ability to meet knowledge and skill requirements consistent with LPN scope of practice and standards of care relevant to designated client population in the context of an interprofessional collaborative practice environment.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
This posting has been posted internally and externally concurrently. External applicants will be considered after internals. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.