Cosma provides a comprehensive range of body, chassis and engineering solutions to global customers. Through our robust product engineering, outstanding tooling capabilities and diverse process expertise, we continue to bring lightweight and innovative products to market.
The position of Department Leader is responsible for supporting both the Department and the Steering Team by performing various functions that will help guide and foster a team spirit that supports both the Magna Employee’s Charter and the goals of Formet. The Department Leader oversees and monitors all activities, and personnel by acting as liaison in matters regarding safety, policy application, employee relations and continuous improvement related to the department functions. Under the general direction of the General Manager and Assistant General Manager, the Department Leader has ongoing contacts both internally and externally and must combine technical, human and conceptual skills to plan, control and lead the team toward meeting divisional objectives.
- Completion of a specialized course(s) taught in recognised community colleges and universities, consisting of more than two academic years. Or equivalent combination of education and work related experience.
- A minimum of five years Leadership experience in an automotive manufacturing environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all duties and promote themselves in a manner that reflects Formet Expectations and Formet’s Visions/Values through Magna’s Employee Charter.
- Ensure quality communication and dialogue between all levels of the organization.
- Follow and abide by all government, Legal, Magna and Formet rules and regulations.
- Contribute to continuous improvement and cost reduction activities.
- Help establish Formet Business Plan and Departmental Goals and Objectives (People, Investor, Customer).
- Ensure that Formet Business Plan and Departmental Goals and Objectives are met (People, Investor, Customer).
- Provides instruction, guidance and leadership to employees by assisting in solving day to day problems, utilizing the Magna Employee Charter while implementing the policies and procedures of the company.
- Plans and directs the utilization, maintenance and use of all machinery, equipment and manpower to achieve the most effective results.
- Develop and support Departmental leadership succession plans.
- Ensure that short and long term planning is established for department in the areas of, but not limited to, Operating and capital budgets, manpower planning, CIP and cost reduction plans, Quality, Safety, Environmental and Employee satisfaction and motivation.
- Develop programs for record retention, continuous improvement, build standards, job training and Key Performance Indicators.
- Support 5S activities.
- Participate in the creation and implementation of clearly defined rules of conduct and communications.
- Provide training and work instructions in the areas of, but not limited to, Health & Safety, TS 16949, ISO14001, job specific etc.
- Reinforce the Open Door process.
- Participate in recruiting of personnel by conducting interviews as required.
- Participate in the monthly Team Member meetings and provide timely feedback on issues and concerns.
- Ensure that job counseling and performance feedback is being appropriately provided.
- Ensure policies and procedures are created objectively and approved / reviewed as required.
- Ensure departmental compliance to all health and safety procedures / standards.
- Ensure that workplace inspections are conducted and unsafe conditions or acts are addressed.
- Ensure that all Accidents/Incident Investigations are completed and corrective actions are implemented.
- Ensure that corrective measures including discipline where necessary are taken for unsafe conditions or acts.
- Educate support and promote corporate initiatives i.e. Employee’s Charter, EOS, Hotline,
- Fairness Committee, and the Employee Advocate.
- Manage without discrimination and personal bias, which includes race, creed or any prohibited grounds as outlined in Human Rights legislation.
- Perform other duties as designated.
- 2 weeks of paid vacation (3 weeks after 3 years) + 3 Personal Paid Holidays (PPH) + 2 half days.
- Medical and Dental Coverage.
- Plant wide Incentive Program – based on a number of factors, all members of our team receive an Incentive Bonus, if requirements are met.
- Magna Profit Sharing.
- Matched GRRSP.
- Company paid life insurance and AD&D coverage.
- Educational Assistance program.
- Subsidized Cafeteria.
- Work boot, safety glasses and custom molded earplug allowances.
- Weekly pay via direct deposit.
- Company paid uniforms (if you choose to use).
- Barbecues and Children’s Christmas Party.
- Roger’s cell phone plan available to Formet Team Members - $40.00 / month
- Employee discounts (new vehicle, amusement parks etc.)
Equipment and/or Product
- Standard Office Equipment.
- Departmental Equipment.
- Office and Manufacturing Environments
- Able to be flexible in hours of work in order to meet internal/external customer requirements (scheduled and non-scheduled overtime shifts, etc.)
Safety and Housekeeping
- Responsible to adhere to all Health and Safety programs in accordance with the O.H.S.A.
- Follow and ensure the company’s procedures regarding safety rules and regulations are followed throughout the plant.
- Ensure that you work and operate equipment according to Formet’s safety rules and regulations.
- Active role in maintaining excellent housekeeping through leading by example.
- Ensure that your department is clean, tidy, organized and a safe workplace at all times.
- As with Safety, Security is everyone’s responsibility and Formet requires its employees to contribute to this activity by immediately notifying your supervisor when you identify security issues that affect the integrity of our supply chain, in accordance with PIP (Partners in Protection) and C-TPAT (Customs – Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) requirements.
Follow environmental protocol as prescribed by the Environmental Management System (EMS).
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.