Who we are:
As a global leader in resource management, SUEZ is paving the way for a more sustainable future. SUEZ North America operates in the U.S. across all 50 states, and Canada with 6,700 employees dedicated to environmental sustainability, smart and sustainable resource management. The company provides water and waste recycling services to over 7.5 million people across the United States and Canada. SUEZ North America is a subsidiary of SUEZ Group based in Paris, France.
SUEZ provides operation and Maintenance of the Swan Hills Treatment Centre (SHTC). This fully integrated facility is the only one of its kind in Canada and one of the few in the world. The Centre treats all types of hazardous waste generated in North America (excluding explosive and radioactive items).
Our Maintenance Superintendent position:
The Maintenance Superintendent plans, directs, and coordinates the Maintenance activities for the Swan Hills Treatment Centre (SHTC) to achieve operational requirements and objectives. She/he will supports the Maintenance Manager and oversees the management of the maintenance function.
The Maintenance Superintendent has primary responsibility for creating a safe working environment, training and assisting their team members in interpretation of procedures and production status, provides hands-on guidance, direction and training to the maintenance operations and engineering projects. Supervises the Maintenance Team and contractor’s productivity and monitors that assigned projects and tasks are completed in a safe, effective and efficient manner. Maintains and operates a formal preventative maintenance program, and asset management system. Including the functioning of the SHTC warehouse and supervision of staff and inventory.
This position operates within a COR and ISO 17025 certified, and ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 conforming plant environment conforming plant environment and is expected to comply with all regulatory requirements. The facility operates on a 24/7 basis.
Your main responsibilities will be to:
- Spend majority of each day on plant site monitoring work assignment progress, verifying that all safety practices and procedures are being followed and adhered to. Report status to Management on a timely basis of daily audit and progress findings.
- Safety (Lost Time Accidents, Incident Management, Injury Frequency Rate, Safety Audits, PPE Audits, Permit Audits)
- Quality Control (Work Order Audits, Re-Work)
- Response Time (Time to respond to critical issues, Time to repair critical issues, Priority Assignment)
- Number of Emergency Breakdowns
- Schedule Completion Effectiveness (Scheduled Work vs Completed Work)
- PM Compliance (Number of PM vs Completed PM)
- Backlog (Number of aging work orders vs age of work orders)
- Work Order Hours (Estimated Time vs Actual Time)
- Overtime Compliance (Percentage overtime vs regular hours)
- Budget Compliance (Monthly Forecast vs Actual Costs)
- Support Maintenance Manager by providing recommendations for budget preparation, project identification, and maintenance activities based on troubleshooting.
- Safely operate company owned, leased, or rented vehicles and/or mobile equipment. You will have responsibility for working-level positions on site who perform Safety Sensitive duties or responsibilities.
- Use and maintain the Maintenance Management System to follow and evaluate the preventative maintenance program. Work with the Production, Technical Services, Project and Planning functions to plan and communicate daily work assignments to direct reports.
- Work closely with Production Supervisors and Maintenance Lead Hands to support efficient scheduling of emergency and upcoming work activities that result in enhanced reliability.
- Optimize Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) activities including maintains and operates a formal representative maintenance program including development of KPIs to measure and continually improve plant reliability.
- Encourage and support the Project Management Approach and Risk Management Process. Verify that work groups are provided with the time, resources, and support their need to solve problems, complete their assigned work, and improve their work.
- Follow-up with requisitions, parts, tools, and equipment required to keep the assets and operation in a continuous reliable condition.
- Verify that apprentices have the hands-on experience necessary for them to learn their trade and that they are being effectively mentored.
- Inspect and evaluate work being performed by contractors, provide necessary documentation to Contract administration on reliability and effectiveness of work performed.
Top skills needed:
- Strong customer service attitude
- Above average analytical and problem solving skills; Technically and detail oriented
- Familiarity with preventative/predictive maintenance techniques and computerized maintenance management systems is required
- Familiarity with DCS systems, programmable controllers, building and fire prevention codes, electrical codes, gas analyzers
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict management skills
- Effective leadership and communication (both verbal and written) skills to facilitate and promote open discussions, and pro-active management on a daily basis
- Effective time management, decision-making, planning skills to manage a diverse workload within a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable both in the field and in the office
- Intermediate level computer skills to operate MS Office Suite
Formal Education Required:
Minimum of a Technical School Diploma in a related technology such as Mechanical Engineering or Journeyman Trades Certification
Applicable Experience Required:
- Minimum of 5 years’ related maintenance experience in an industrial process plant environment
- Prior supervisory experience is required
- Ability to work outside of regular business hours as the facility is operational 24/7.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality to comply with all regulatory requirements and Company Privacy and Confidentiality policies and procedures.
- Ability to complete all conditions of employment including negative alcohol and drug test, current and clean Class 5 driver’s license, pre-employment medical, and background check.
SUEZ Canada Waste Services offers a great work environment, professional development and stable employment.
SUEZ is an Equal Opportunity Employer: employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.