Manager - Installations Quality Assurance
S&C Managers oversee a designated territory and have responsibility for all S&C maintenance, signal systems, inspection activities, and management of critical voice and data communication systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage QC Supervisors to ensure signal and communications work is performed within CN and Transport Canada standards, and in conjunction with applicable collective bargaining agreements.
- Guide supervisors to recommend appropriate corrective action to resolve performance issues, as well as respond to and resolve grievances.
- Build safety compliance and improve safety results through regular efficiency testing and safety walkabouts; provide positive and constructive feedback and coaching
- Plan, implement and manage Capital projects to ensure execution of the plan within CN and Transport Canada standards
- Participate in activities related to derailments and disruptions in service, while working with Transportation and Mechanical to determine cause and future prevention
- Lead people with clear direction and goals while providing coaching and guidance to employees through regular monitoring of employee performance.
- Apply collective agreement(s) and company policies when carrying out their duties, including managing and coaching employees, conducting investigations, recommending corrective action, and responding to grievances.
- Manage budgets and workforce productivity within CN and departmental policy.
- Shift work which includes: Irregular hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Combination of office and working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- Lift up to 50 lbs
- Meet deadlines, interface with senior management
- Travel for company business, at times without advance notice
- Respond to unexpected or emergency situations
- High School diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years of age
- Valid driver's license
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position.
- Demonstrated history and experience in safety compliance
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Demonstrates a proven track record in troubleshooting and problem solving
- Strong ability to perform well under pressure and in stressful situations and circumstances
- Must display logistical thinking, critical thinking and multitasking skills
- Ability to successfully collaborate in a team environment while prioritizing tasks and instructions
- Ability to work autonomously and adapt to changing situations
- Must have the ability to stay alert and prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances
- Minimum 4 years of S&C Experience; 2 years S&C Supervisor experience
- Two years technical degree required; bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- Experience managing budgets
- Experience in supervising a unionized workforce
- Labor relations experience i.e. interpretation of collective agreements, response to grievances, negotiations with union representatives, discipline, etc.
- Training or certification in a Railroad Operating Signals
- Intermediate computer skills – working knowledge of Excel, Word, SAP, SCIS, RTC II
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.