|Company Overview||Sierra Wireless (NASDAQ: SWIR) (TSX: SW) is an IoT pioneer, empowering businesses and industries to transform and thrive in the connected economy. Customers Start with Sierra because we offer a device to cloud solution, comprised of embedded and networking solutions seamlessly integrated with our secure cloud and connectivity services. OEMs and enterprises worldwide rely on our expertise in delivering fully integrated solutions to reduce complexity, turn data into intelligence and get their connected products and services to market faster. Sierra Wireless has 1,400 employees globally and operates R&D centers in North America, Europe and Asia. For more information, visit www.sierrawireless.com.|
Sierra Wireless is an equal-opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse working environment. We welcome people of every race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We have an opportunity for a Manager, Payroll & Benefits, North America to join our Richmond, BC headquarters. In this role, you will manage the day-to-day payroll and benefits processing requirements for 750 employees based in Canada and the United States. You will also be responsible for establishing and maintaining standards and processes that support the overall Human Resource objectives, creating a positive employee experience through the employee life cycle.
This position will enable you to use your exceptional customer service skills to address the payroll and benefits needs of our 450 Canadian employees and 300 US employees. All payroll inputs and processing (along with benefits data input and admin) are handled through 3rd party service providers.
As a seasoned Payroll & Benefits Manager with a strong customer focus, you bring 12+ years of significant payroll and benefits experience to the role, enabling you to effectively contribute, manage and oversee the North American payrolls and benefit plans through the employee life cycle, in partnership with our outsourcing provider and the HR Business Partners.
This position will give you a chance to flourish in a fast-paced environment which requires a mix of analytical and critical thinking, application of a continuous improvement mindset to create and shape fit for purpose solutions, to deliver exceptional customer service to our talented and growing workforce in North America.
- Review and approve bi-weekly Canadian and US payrolls ensuring accuracy and timelines of entries
- Establish appropriate controls to ensure compliance with payroll processes and legislative requirements are met, including developing payroll guidelines and procedures; work with federal and state labour and tax agencies towards problem resolution
- Identify and provide solutions for potential payroll problems and/or concerns; continually strive for operational excellence, seeking ways to streamline processes, create operational efficiencies and foster a culture of continuous improvement, enhanced controls and data integrity
- Provide and create quarterly/monthly/annual payroll and benefits reporting as required
- Ensure accurate attendance records are maintained in ADP Workforce Now system
- Participate in and/or lead internal and/or external payroll/benefit audits as required
- Lead and participate in planned and ad hoc projects focusing on automation, enhancements and new program roll out related to payroll, pension and benefits
- Participate in acquisition, consolidation, and other initiatives as needed
- Manage employee communications concerning payroll and benefits including emails, intranet and workplace noticeboards
- Ensure ISO and RBA certification requirements supported through Payroll and Benefits activities
- Coordinate with Finance to ensure accurate payroll related reporting and GL interface
- Responsible for overseeing accurate and efficient benefit administration with benefit provider, our broker and outsourcing partner
- Ensure compliance requirements are met for ACA, COBRA, HIPAA, ERISA, and IRS regulations
- Reporting & management of Worker’s Comp, disability and supplemental benefit claims
- Provides leadership and support focused on employee benefit education, engagement, compliance and regulations within the health and welfare employee benefits
- Oversee operational aspect of the Canadian and US Benefits and pension operations and contribute to annual reviews including recommending effective strategies to provide cost effective outcomes
- Perform employee on-boarding and offboarding briefings for new hires and in partnership with HR Business Partners and outsourcing provider
- Ensure accurate and timely Payroll instruction to outsourcing partner for timely execution of special payments including equity, expatriate allowances, commissions etc.
- Review ongoing reconciliation and year-end tax returns and ensure information on the returns submitted by outsourcing partner is accurate
- Ensure benefit administration is managed effectively by outsourcing partner and escalated issues are resolved in a timely and satisfactory manner
- Manage key relationships with payroll outsource partner and 3rd party payroll processing partner (ADP) for North America under a structured governance process including all day to day Vendor management of benefits providers and/or outsourcing partner
|Required Education, Experience & Competencies|
- Canadian Payroll Association and American Payroll Association Certification preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in related field advantageous
- Proficiency with various payroll software and programs, including, ADP Workforce Now
- Knowledge of expatriate payroll and cross boarder tax advantageous
- Experience working with and managing outsourcing partner and/or 3rd party payroll providers advantageous
- Familiarity with Equity payroll transactions including RSU, PSU and Stock Options
- Strong planning and organizational skills with proven ability to manage competing priorities
- Detailed oriented with a superior track record of achieving high quality results
- Excellent written and verbal communication, including preparing and delivery of presentations to all employee levels
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment with a flexible mindset, calm under pressure and with time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to clearly define and articulate requirements, priorities, impacts, and solutions
- Ability to foster effective working relationships at all levels internally and with external partners, with a strong drive to collaborate and work as part of a team
- Able to identify opportunities, take initiative and think through future implications
- Proven ability to maintain sensitive and highly confidential information
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills for reporting, metrics and data validation