The Manager, Risk Analytics is responsible for managing the clearinghouse market and liquidity risks in accordance with NGX’s risk appetite, policies and regulatory requirements through the development and maintenance of risk management systems, processes, and reporting functions. The Manager, Risk Analytics is also responsible for evaluating new product initiatives as well as business development opportunities primarily from a risk management perspective.
Key Accountabilities:1. Responsible for market and liquidity risk management functions:
• Responsible for identifying and managing NGX clearinghouse market and liquidity risk exposures.
• Establish procedures for the measurement of risk, implement risk control mechanisms, and provide for the validation of NGX’s risk controls.
• Provide clearing team members with the information and tools necessary to ensure contracting party exposures are adequately collateralized.
• Implement processes and allocate resources to ensure that back testing and stress testing functions along with initial margin and margin offset requirements are performed in accordance with regulatory and risk policy requirements.
• Assess opportunities for improved methods of measuring and managing NGX’s risk exposures.
2. Regulatory and risk governance requirements:
• Ensure that NGX meets all market and liquidity regulatory requirements including PFMI, Dodd Frank and CSA standards and rules.
• Responsibilities include alignment of risk tools, processes and reporting in accordance with regulatory requirements.
• Responsible for coordination of NGX’s risk management committee functions (internal and board level) ensuring that the committees approvals, reviews, and agendas are in alignment with NGX’s risk policies as well as regulatory requirements.
• Support NGX’s CRO in the implementation of NGX’s risk policies including determination of key enterprise risks, management of risk control scorecards, and exception reporting.
3. Provide leadership and team development:
• Manage risk personnel in a manner that ensures that the risk control mechanisms are properly implemented and maintained.
• Develop team members through creation and implementation of development plans for key employees, providing cross training opportunities, and exposing personnel to a wide range of work experiences and increasing responsibilities.
4. New Business Opportunities – Risk Management:
• Undertake analysis on new products and markets with the aim to support growth opportunities while applying sound risk management practices.
• Responsible for modeling, measuring and managing the market risk inherent with new business/product lines
5. Support NGX marketing and clearing groups through communication of NGX risk control mechanisms and education of contracting parties and NGX personnel as required.
6. Provide margin clearing function support from time to time as required.
7. Support efforts to implement creative solutions which improve the NGX clearing model, including the provision of advanced risk tools to reduce the occurrence of under or over margining.
8. Provide support and guidance for the implementation of internal and external risk software solutions.
9. Effectively collaborate with staff across a variety of NGX and TMX business units.
10. Maintain proficiency and strong awareness of clearinghouse risk management best practices and, wherever possible, ensure NGX alignment with same.
Must Have Skills:1. An undergraduate degree in finance, economics or mathematics. A graduate degree would be considered an asset.
2. A professional designation in risk, finance or quantitative analysis.
3. 8-12 years of quantitative analysis or risk management experience in the energy (oil, natural gas, power) industry, or at a financial institution.
4. Solid understanding of the clearinghouse and exchange regulatory landscape.
5. Proven team management experience including delegation of responsibilities, development of personnel and ability to motivate performance.
6. Project management experience with a demonstrated ability to lead project execution in cooperation across a variety of disciplines and business units.
7. Strong business communication and presentation skills.
8. Excellent interpersonal skills; interacting with clients, peers, and other groups within NGX with a high level of professionalism.
9. Strong knowledge of the energy markets, primarily from a credit, risk and clearing perspective.
10. Commitment to TMX Core Values
- Regulatory Reporting
- B.Comm; BA; BSc