|City:||Vancouver, BC, Canada|
|Location:||Vancouver H/O - Canfor/CWPM_1000 (BC13)|
Who We Are:
At Canfor, we know wood-based products can build a better world, whether it’s a component in your smartphone or skyscrapers built from wood. We founded our entire company on that idea. Because, we know that wood-based products are sustainable and the opportunities to innovative have only just begun.
We know when managed responsibly, the forest is everlasting and Canfor is committed to using virtually 100% of every tree for lumber, pulp, paper, and renewable energy—so nothing goes to waste.
You can find Canfor products in every corner of the globe. We’re especially excited by the innovative ways some of our customers are using our products. We know that the work we all do at Canfor today will shape what the world looks like tomorrow. Whether that means building a house or a skyscraper, using paper instead of plastic or learning something new from a colleague down the hall or around the globe. We know not everyone thinks about their impact on the world but at Canfor, we do.
The Manager, Surface Transportation is part of the global supply chain management team at Canfor and responsible for managing a team overseeing the development of rail and truck transportation strategy for Canfor’s 17 Canadian pulp and lumber operations.
The role will be a key contributor in setting of transportation service rates and monitor revenue; establish and implement policies and standards for the transportation and storage of goods; monitor the department's performance, prepare reports for senior management, and plan for changes to schedules and policies; arrange for the tracking and tracing of goods in transit; plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate daily operations
As an integral part of the management team, the Manager, Surface Transportation will drive best in class day-to-day transportation operations in a collaborative and authentic manner.
- Develop strategies, policies and procedures to accomplish corporate and department objectives.
- As directed; negotiate, carrier contract and spot rates
- Vendor relationship management
- Maintain cross functional activities between all modes (Marine, Truck and Rail) on both commodities (pulp and lumber)
- Support and coordinate efforts to achieve KPI’s by collaborating with all departments.
- Continuously survey existing programs for improvements and enhanced performance.
- Deal effectively with customer issues and identify quick solutions.
- Responsible for departmental budget, including reporting variance. Ensures that activities within the department meet budget KPIs. Identifies ways to lower costs where possible
- Ensure all rate uploads are completed
- Approve invoice variance and ensure root cause analysis are being reviewed
- Oversee the process for tendering and awarding spot-market and contract freight.
Required Skills & Education:
Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, International Trade or Business. A specialization in Supply Chain would be highly valued.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in a related role with responsibility for supply chain management, logistics and/or land transportation management.
- Strong technical acumen in rail terminology, tariffs, routing protocols and contracts.
- Previous experience managing relationships with trucking vendors would be an asset.
- Previous experience leading and managing a team, and mentoring staff.
- Advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Confident in presenting across multiple levels of the business, including the Executive team.
- Consummate relationship builder. Able to form effective working relationships with a wide variety of vendors.
- Strong level of attention to detail as it relates to data entry and verification.
- Previous experience managing a budget, including performing analysis on and reporting for variances.
- Must have strong and effective leadership skills, and the ability to successfully manage a staff of 5-10 salaried employees.
- Strong organizational, analytical, communication and leadership skills required.
- Must be innovative and have the ability to make changes to the operation as needed to further improve the work environment and unit performance.
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to communicate effectively with management team and staff.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to submit their applications no later than 4:00pm PST on September 7th, 2019.
In order to be eligible for this position, you must be legally entitled to work in Canada for our company.
There has never been a better time to join the Canfor team and become part of the modern forest industry. We have a wide range of rewarding careers in some of the best communities in North America, with plenty of room for advancement. Our mills are modern, high-tech and safe; and our marketing and sales activities are world-class. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages, and are committed to the professional development of our employees.
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook for Canfor news, career opportunities, and upcoming events!
The city of Vancouver is both a natural beauty and a progressive urban centre, a rare place on earth that is idyllic and electric all at once. With one of Canada’s mildest climates, Vancouver is ideally suited for those devoted to outdoor pursuits, health and wellness. Along with its endless supply of fresh air and clean water, Vancouver also boasts countless choices for culturally diverse, world-class cuisine and an inventory of arts and entertainment events. For more information, visit http://canfor.com/our-company/our-communities/vancouver