At BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. we are committed to excellence in every business initiative. BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada (BWXT NEC) has achieved an enviable international reputation for excellence in the supply of nuclear fuel and fuel handling systems and service for CANDU reactors in both domestic and international markets. Our success is the result of our commitment to our employees, customers, quality & EHS initiatives.
We are currently recruiting for a Manufacturing Engineer for our facility in Peterborough, Ontario.
BWXT is a place where you can develop and share your talents. Our presence, innovation and financial strength help to make BWXT a dynamic place to work, giving you the advantage of our strong Nuclear presence, where individual voices are heard.
The Peterborough community invites you to take a deep breath, relax and enjoy life. We have an abundance of recreational opportunities, festivals, and entertainment that is fueled by culture, nature and homegrown culinary experiences. Friendly people, inspiring landscapes and incredible lakes are waiting for you in the heart of cottage country. The region is home to 140,000 people (approx. 83,000 in the City of Peterborough) in addition to the charming towns, townships and villages that make up the County. We offer the best of all worlds here and we’d like you to get to know us a bit better.
Reporting directly to the Manufacturing Engineering Manager, the Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for the estimating and execution of a broad range of manufacturing projects from commercial and custom manufactured parts to sophisticated nuclear equipment.
· Prepare detailed cost estimates for custom-engineered manufacturing projects including electro-mechanical automation, tooling, welded fabrications, machining, field services, testing.
· Provide manufacturing inputs to the design process, participate in manufacturability reviews to identify manufacturing cost or schedule improvements during product design.
· Plan and lead jobs through manufacturing including machining, welding, assembly and test. Write instructions (shop travelers) for in-house activities, manufacturing sketches, weld map records, assembly/test specs, etc. Identify, design and procure fixtures and required tooling.
· Prepare Manufacturing Bills of Material from engineering BOM’s, on JD Edwards MRP system. Perform make vs buy evaluations. Requisition purchased parts and materials for in-house manufactured items.
· Manage design changes and maintain configuration of the design during manufacturing.
· Lead and participate in project meetings related to schedules and budgets including meetings with customers.
· Prepare schedule inputs for projects including task planning to optimize lead times.
· Troubleshoot production problems with design and manufacturing teams, including recommending dispositions for non-conformances.
· Lead or participate in teams carrying out work at customer sites.
· Drive continuous improvement of manufacturing activities.
· College/University graduate in an Engineering discipline. P. Eng. is preferred.
· 5+ years of manufacturing planning experience in custom engineered equipment industry.
· Knowledge and experience with machining (conventional + CNC/CAM), fitting/welding, assembly and materials including stainless steels, Al-bronze, nickel alloys, zirconium, etc.
· Knowledge or experience with metrology, Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerances (GD&T), blue print reading.
· High level of proficiency with data analysis and management including spreadsheet tools, MRP systems, etc.
· Demonstrated ability in project planning / execution, including development of processes / procedures and process improvements.
· Very strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· Basic knowledge of common non-destructive examination (NDE) techniques.
· Experience working with ASME Code rules for identification and traceability of materials, manufacturing processes, testing, etc.
· Experience with manufacturing of instrumentation and control equipment, PLC systems, cable assemblies, panels, industrial automation. Familiar with wiring diagrams, electrical schematics, instrument calibration.
· Technical writing experience including procedures, customer proposals, technical reports.
· Experience in cost-estimating multi-disciplined equipment and facility projects.
· Experience with Primavera (P6) project scheduling software.
· Experience in the nuclear industry is considered an asset but not required.
If you see yourself in a challenging, rewarding career at an extremely diverse, innovation-driven company, this is the perfect place to ramp up your career. BWXT's supportive environment and free flow of information will encourage you to imagine, build, solve and lead.
BWXT Nuclear Energy Canada Inc. embraces diversity of thought, values individuality, encourages new perspectives and provides equal opportunity in employment for all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, disability, a conviction for which a pardon has been granted or a record suspended or any other category protected by federal law.