TRIUMF is Canada's particle accelerator centre, and one of the world's leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We are currently accepting applications for a talented Mechanical Engineer to join TRIUMF’s ARIEL project for a 2-year term. The Advanced Rare Isotope Laboratory (ARIEL) is TRIUMF’s flagship multidisciplinary research facility. This world-class facility will broaden Canada’s research capabilities in particle physics, nuclear physics, nuclear medicine, and materials science. This is exciting and innovative work that provides engineering support to particle accelerator development and operation in the area of vacuum systems.
Under direct supervision you will provide engineering support for TRIUMF’s Vacuum group and contribute to ARIEL by participating in the design, documentation, and testing of mechanical devices servicing ARIEL electron and proton target station vacuum systems. Your responsibilities/duties include, but are not limited to:
- Producing engineering designs, including process and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID), for various vacuum or gaseous systems.
- Testing equipment for mechanical performance (under high temperature, pressure difference, etc.)
- Working with designers to produce detailed manufacturing drawings.
- Drafting tender documents for equipment procurement and act as technical liaison with external vendors and suppliers.
- Acting as a technical lead for the build and installation and test of equipment and systems qualification.
As our ideal candidate, you will have strong communication and planning skills and a demonstrated ability to work as an effective member of an interdisciplinary team. Your qualifications will include:
- A Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or a related engineering discipline
- Eligibility for registration with Engineers & Geoscientists British Columbia (EGBC)
- 1-3 years of relevant industry experience after graduation is desirable
- Willingness to complete the TRIUMF in-house radiation safety training course and be designated as a TRIUMF Nuclear Energy Worker
In addition, experience in one or more of the following will be considered an asset;
- Experience working with ANSYS design software
- Experience with the full mechanical engineering design cycle, applying rigorous mechanical engineering principles to drive a project from conception to prototyping and through to completion
- A working knowledge of mechanical systems and familiarity with standards and codes such as ASME Boiler and High-Pressure Vessel Code, ASME B31, and Industrial Safety practices
- An understanding of vacuum and cryogenic techniques and related equipment
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada for the duration of the term.
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity https://www.rarestdrug.com/
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your complete application package should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and will include the following in one complete PDF file:
- Subject line: Competition 772
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: March 25, 2020
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.