Medical Laboratory Technologist – Powell River General Hospital, LM Labs
Effectively produce the accurate test results our medical staff relies on to make accurate diagnoses. The Medical Laboratory Technologist carries out laboratory tests, evaluates and verifies results, and prepares related reports.
As the successful candidate, you will perform the following duties in accordance with established policies:
- Obtain laboratory samples from patients, perform laboratory procedures and analyze results.
- Prepare solutions, reagents, standards and controls for use in analysis.
- Communicate test results to the appropriate parties, including designated members of other health teams.
- Perform routine instrument maintenance including the setup, calibration, and maintenance of laboratory instruments. Identifies and reports malfunctions in equipment.
- Assist in the evaluation of technical procedures and provides input in the development and maintenance of policy procedures for assigned work area.
- Demonstrate established laboratory procedures to new employees and students.
- Assist with information management, such as workload statistics.
- Maintain inventory of supplies and a clean and safe work area.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Are certified with the Canadian Society of Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS) and
- Have one (1) year recent related experience in the designated discipline within the last six years, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
You have demonstrated:
- Recent working knowledge of the assigned section(s).
- Knowledge of laboratory procedures, and technical competence to perform tests used in the assigned section of the laboratory, including quality control and safety.
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care using point of care instrumentation.
- Ability to operate related equipment and software, including techniques appropriate to the designated area of the laboratory.
- Basic awareness of research process.
- Organize and prioritize workload.
- Work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Work under pressure in a constantly changing environment.
- Physically carry out the duties of the position.
If this sounds like you, apply now!
Lower Mainland Laboratories is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
The Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, manages and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC, working with the five geographic health authorities to deliver province-wide solutions that improve the health of British Columbians. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Patients first • Best value • Results matter • Excellence through knowledge • Open to possibilities.
The PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.
- Casual Opportunities
- Rotating Shifts
- Wage $29.70- $37.04
- 5000 Joyce Avenue, Powell River, BC V8A 5R3