Medical Laboratory Assistant
Powell River Hospital, LM Labs, $24.33 per hour
What you’ll do
- Receive patients and examine test requisition/s to confirm patient demographics are current, check for physician's signature, enter demographics into Laboratory Information system, print label indicating patient information such as referring physician, name and test and affixes to requisition. Explain the procedure for the collection of laboratory specimens and responds to routine inquiries.
- Greet, identify and prepare patients for specified tests; collect blood specimens by performing venipuncture and skin puncture in accordance with established procedures, label specimens with required information and ensure safe disposal of sharps and other material as required. Perform routine lab tests such as urine tests for protein and/or glucose using colour coded dip sticks.
- Prepare specimens such as blood and urine for analysis. Check specimen identification against requisition, identify whether additional tests or special testing is required. Separate serum or plasma from cells by centrifugation and prepare blood films by spreading blood specimen onto slide. Forward to Technologist for analysis.
- Receive specimens, spin down and split specimens into different containers, sort and label for testing, log data into a computerized database and batches specimens in order of established priorities for distribution to the applicable area.
- Store analyzed specimens and discard outdated specimens as directed in accordance with established facility procedures.
What you bring
- Grade 12
- Successful completion of a recognized Lab Assistant training program
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Part-Time (0.80 FTE until December 2019)
Wage: $24.33 per hour
5000 Joyce Avenue, Powell River
Monday to Friday; 0700-1330
What we do
Lower Mainland Laboratories is a service of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), responsible for providing public laboratory services throughout the Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Hospital-based laboratories in Vancouver Coastal Health, Fraser Health, Providence Health Care and PHSA provide both inpatient and outpatient laboratory services. These specialty laboratories provide a variety of reference and specialized testing.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.