Part time Medical Laboratory Technologist - Clinical Microbiology
HOURS OF WORK:
7.5 Hour Shifts - Days, Evenings, Nights and Weekends
After hours on-call rotation
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Perform procedures related to microbiological testing of patient samples under limited supervision. Tests are conducted manually or on automated equipment (BD FX, Phoenix/EpiCentre/ BD Max/ Maldi-TOF, BD InoqulA, Seegene Starplex).
• Ensure compliance with standard operating procedures and IQMH accreditation standards
• Perform all quality control procedures and basic troubleshooting when indicated and according to established protocol. Report unresolved problems to the Supervising Technologist.
• Document and report (or call) completed results according to the established protocol.
• Be knowledgeable in safety practices, and follow safe procedures at all times.
• Demonstrate ability to prioritize work and respond to urgent unpredictable demands for STAT testing. Consult with peers, senior, manager or Medical Microbiologist when appropriate related to abnormal results, panic results or other concerns.
• Demonstrate a professional, respectful and courteous attitude with other staff. Follows the code of professional conduct of the CMLTO, CSMLS and values of GRH.
• Communicate effectively with physicians, nurses and other hospital personnel – include basic interpretation of laboratory test results and explanations of limitations of the test procedure.
• Participate in the departments Quality Assurance Program and accreditation compliance plans.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Contributes to ensuring there is a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors.
• CMLTO / CSMLS certified Medical Laboratory Technologist or working towards certification.
• Minimum of 1-2 years as a MLT with recent experience in Microbiology is preferred;
• Proficiency in the use of Laboratory Information System using the Cerner Millenium Microbiology module is preferred
• Proficiency in the use of MS office (Word, Excel, Outlook) preferred
• Molecular experience or formal molecular education is preferred
• Good performance track record
• Demonstrated commitment to learning and continuing education
• Good attendance record