Medical Office Assistant – Alouette Correctional Centre for Women
Correctional Health Services, BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services
24800 Alouette Rd, Maple Ridge, BC V2X 7G4
Casual Opportunities Available
Wage: 22.49 per hour
Help our team by performing a variety of clerical and client-related activities for the health care centre, so we can provide optimal care for a vulnerable and complex population.
What you’ll do
- Schedule and book client, follow-up and interdisciplinary appointments, adjusting arrangements in accordance with client and centre requirements and notifying clinicians and BC Corrections staff, ensuring that appropriate date, time, and location are provided.
- Register and admit clients into PAC or Health Care Record, ensuring client demographics and appropriate information is complete and accurate, following up with appropriate clinicians or BC Corrections staff as necessary.
- Perform referral functions including checking to ensure that all information required is complete as identified by specialty clinics, gathering additional/missing information, performing data entry, sending out client questionnaires, and receiving and processing related paperwork.
- Type and distribute a variety of technical and non-technical material such as correspondence, reports, notices, agendas, notes/meeting minutes, and spreadsheets by utilizing various computerized word processing and spreadsheet software packages, creating files, and editing material for stylistic consistency and grammar as required.
- Perform receptionist and other clerical duties including answering telephones, responding to inquiries and requests for information, obtaining patient files as necessary, greeting clients, printing daily schedules, and forwarding problems and complex queries to appropriate personnel.
- Provide clerical and general administrative support to the Health Care Manager or delegate as well as to the department by performing tasks such as booking meetings, circulating action items, filing, routing paperwork, opening and forwarding mail, faxing, photocopying, preparing mailers and information, arranging for courier, circulating documentation, and ordering standard office supplies by completing requisition orders for authorization/signature and e-forms.
What you bring
- Grade 12 graduation
- Two (2) years’ recent experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- The ability to keyboard 45 w.p.m.
You have the ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Deal with others effectively
- Organize work
- Operate related equipment
- Physically carry out the duties of the position
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
What we do
BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services (BCMHSUS), bcmhsus.ca, cares for people with complex mental health and substance use challenges.
Check out this video to see what it's like to work with Correctional Health Services: https://youtu.be/gxlRP0dnKYA
PHSA plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.