A Medical Underwriter is an insurance professional responsible for evaluating an individual’s health status and medical history on an application for insurance. Reporting to the Manager of Medical Underwriting, this position is suitable for individuals with health care knowledge that are seeking a unique opportunity to creatively apply their experience towards a career in the insurance industry. A Medical Underwriter will work as part of a cohesive team of health insurance risk selectors and will support the Manager in achieving the strategic and operational goals of the corporation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews applications for medically reviewed benefits to evaluate pre-existing medical history.
- Reviews large case applications to evaluate mortality and morbidity risk
- Renders an appropriate decision in keeping with corporate underwriting standards.
- Professionally elicits information, either verbal or written, from the applicant, (and when necessary medical professionals), and accurately interprets such information to make the above decisions.
- Works with our technical team to help create and maintain automated underwriting engine.
- Makes suggestions to improve workflow and processes.
- Other related duties for the Group or Individual lines of business including administrative tasks.
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Working knowledge of anatomy and pathophysiology is mandatory. Ideal candidates would be those individuals who have previous medical underwriting experience or have completed full or partial course work in the medical field e.g. nurses, lab technologists, pharmacists.
- General knowledge of medical underwriting and/or the insurance industry, (in particular, Life, Disability, Travel and/or Individual Health experience), is also an asset.
- Must have a superior ability to analyze subjective and objective evidence as part of a decision making process that is guided by sound logic and good judgment.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact professionally with both the customer and other medical and/or insurance professionals.
- Must have excellent time management skills, be able to work autonomously and perform under tight deadlines.
- Must be trustworthy, accountable and have strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing to participate in continuing underwriting education and pursue FALU/FLMI professional designations.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products and have the ability to learn in-house workflow software
- Must be dedicated to providing excellent customer service to internal and external clients.
Alberta Blue Cross offers a competitive salary and benefits package and the opportunity to work in a challenging team-oriented environment. This position will remain open until suitable candidates are selected. If you have the qualifications we are looking for, please apply online at: www.ab.bluecross.ca