Job DescriptionJob Title: Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse (RPN/RN)
Squamish Mental Health - Squamish, BC
Sites in Whistler and Pemberton, BCStatus: CasualStart Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: Shift times may vary between 0900 - 2000. 11 hour shifts. Casual shifts as assigned.Reference#: 124672-rro
Come work as a Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the Squamish Mental Health team as a Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse. This position will also work in the Whistler and Pemberton, BC areas. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health and Addictions Outreach Nurse with VCH you will:
- Provide triage and outreach services that are inclusionary and flexible for individuals with mental illness, addictions and/or chronic medical conditions.
- Conduct mental and physical status assessments and assess clients’ physiological, psychological, sociocultural and spiritual needs to determine priority of care requirements based on client needs, availability of resources and best practices.
- Provide counseling and assist client with reducing repeated contact with and use of acute and community healthcare services/programs/resources.
- Assess high risk situations and provide crisis intervention.
- Collaborate with interdisciplinary team to develop, implement and adjust client’s care plan and meet the client’s need for integrated services and continuity of care across the continuum.
- Facilitate the movement of clients between acute care, community agency support site and designated health centres.
- Participate in case conferences/meetings with members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Assist clients with attendance to needed services such as medical appointments.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Diploma in Nursing or Psychiatric Nursing plus two (2) years’ recent related experience working with individuals with mental health and addictions illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client and family centered recovery model in mental illness.
- Broad knowledge of crisis intervention and counseling skills.
- Broad knowledge of mental health illness and treatment.
- Broad knowledge of psychopharmacology (indication and side effects).
- Broad knowledge of substance abuse and addictions treatment.
- Broad knowledge of other facilities and community resources.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct psychiatric assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to provide treatment planning, counseling, crisis intervention, and case coordination.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with clients and their families, colleagues, physicians, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated listening and information seeking skills that promotes communication and lead to a cooperative approach to problem solving within a multidisciplinary setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust schedule to deal with unexpected situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to provide consultation and leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, Internet and email software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.