Job DescriptionJob Title: Mental Health & Addictions Worker 2Work Site: Powell River Mental Health - Powell River, BCStatus: CasualStart Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $24.38 - $26.42 per hourHours: VariousReference#: 122609-nmo
Come work as a Mental Health & Addictions Worker in Powell River, BC with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a graduate of a Community Social Services Diploma Program OR a Mental Health Worker Program to join the Powell River Mental Health Team as a Mental Health & Addictions Worker. Apply today to join our team!
As a Mental Health & Addictions Worker you will:
- Work with individuals with severe and persistent psychiatric illness.
- Participate in case planning with clients; interview clients to identify problems and needs and works with clients and the Mental Health & Addictions team to develop a treatment care plan that emphasizes self-management strategies.
- Act as an advocate to assist clients in resolving conflicts and other problems with external organizations.
- Observe clients' behaviour and symptoms, provide feedback regarding clients' needs, performance and progress.
- Provide supportive counselling, demonstrations, and behavioural management to assist with the development of physical, social, emotional and life skills.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Diploma in Community Social Service or completion of Mental Health Worker program plus two (2) years recent, related experience working with individuals with severe and persistent psychiatric illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local area travel may require the use of a personal vehicle.
- Valid CPR and First Aid certificates.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of psychiatric medications and their side effects.
- Ability to demonstrate and assist clients with activities of daily living.
- Ability to take and record temperature, pulse and respiration on clients.
- Ability to resolve conflicts and provide crisis intervention.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written form (English).
- Ability to work independently and within a team setting.
- Ability to organize and prioritize.
- Ability to observe and recognize changes in clients.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with residents.
- Ability to analyze, make decisions, and resolve problems.
- Ability to instruct.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Physical ability to carry out duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.