Job DescriptionJob Title: Mental Health Nurse (RPN/RN)Work Site: Intensive Tertiary Rehab, Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre - Vancouver, BCStatus: CasualStart Date: As soon as possibleSalary: $34.83 - $45.73 per hourHours: 0730-1930 / 1930-0730 / 1530-2330, with casual shifts as assignedReference#: 121616-jmc
Come work as a Mental Health Nurse with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Registered Psychiatric Nurse OR Registered Nurse to join the team in Tertiary Mental Health at Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre. Apply today!
As a Mental Health Nurse working at Joseph & Rosalie Segal Family Health Centre you will:
- Provide individualized direct nursing care and brokerage services to a wide range of clients with severe and persistent mental illness, concurrent disorders and/or dementia and be responsible for the full range of clinical practice and the client-centred rehabilitation program by working independently and as a member of a team.
- Enhance quality of life from the perspective of the client/family.
- Perform physical and psychosocial rehabilitation assessments.
- Consult, confer and collaborate with other health care givers and family members to develop, implement, evaluate and modify individualized strength-based treatment plan.
- Establish, maintain and enhance therapeutic relationships based on respect.
- Administer prescribed medicines, monitor client response and demonstrate and provide ongoing information to the client/family on activities of daily living, use of medication and side-effects and integration of illness to their lifestyle.
- Prepare and maintain client records according to established standards, participate in team meetings, engage in team planning and quality improvement activities and maintain and update your own knowledge.
WHO WE ARE
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- Current practicing registration as a Registered Nurse or a Registered Psychiatric Nurse with the British Columbia College of Nursing Professionals (BCCNP).
- Up to two (2) years’ recent related experience working with individuals with severe and persistent psychiatric illness or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of a client and family centered recovery model in mental illness.
- Knowledge of concurrent disorders.
- Knowledge of Psychosocial Rehabilitation methodology.
- Knowledge of the Mental Health Act as it applies to the rights and obligations of clients and staff.
- Knowledge of community, social and mental health resources.
- Applicable to ECT and TMS treatment programs, demonstrated ability in the initiation and management of IV therapy and administration of IV medications.
- Applicable to ECT and TMS treatment programs, knowledge of the indications, actions, reactions, routes, dosages, and side effects of anesthetic and other drugs used in critical care environment as well as nursing problems commonly encountered in a critical care environment.
- Ability to identify emotional, social, or environmental barriers and intervene to eliminate stigma.
- Ability to effectively manage conflict situations and aggressive behaviour and use non-violent crisis intervention and behavioural management techniques.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with clients, families, team members, other groups and community agency personnel.
- Knowledge of trauma-informed care.
- Demonstrated ability in nursing practice related to assessment of behaviour and to assisting clients to regain or improve their coping abilities, and to prevent further disability.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and co-lead group sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement care plans.
- Demonstrated ability to assess client responses to care, and to respond appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to unexpected events, problem-solve and set priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in the development and delivery of educational programs and materials for clients and families based on education theories, principles and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated ability to counsel and teach clients and their families.
- Demonstrated ability to model and mentor new staff and students.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership through initiative and independence.
- Demonstrated skill in clinical techniques and the use of applicable equipment and supplies.
- Demonstrated skill in CPR techniques.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic computer literacy to operate a computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting. ***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.