|Job Title:||Molecular Scientist (PhD)|
|Work Site:||COVID-19 Lab Services - Vancouver General Hospital|
Regular Full Time
As soon as possible
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, and statutory holidays
Come work as a Molecular Scientist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver General Hospital is looking for a Molecular Scientist to join the clinical microbiology laboratory within the Department of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine. This regional laboratory provides diagnostic services for healthcare facilities within the entire Vancouver Coastal Health Authority. The successful candidate will work in collaboration with a team of Medical Microbiologists, Medical Technologists, and laboratory operations staff to provide exceptional patient care in a state-of-the-art facility.
As a Molecular Scientist at VCH you will:
- Perform specialized molecular diagnostic analyses for patients
- Analysis and reporting of test results while ensuring patient confidentiality
- Troubleshooting of molecular assays
- Participate in research activities to develop, expand, and evaluate new molecular testing assays for laboratory implementation
- Request, maintain, and organize necessary laboratory supplies and equipment
- Produce high quality documented data, including validation reports
- Developing and maintaining efficient laboratory standard operating procedures
- Participate in preparation of manuscripts for publication
- Teaching and technical training of medical students, residents, and technologists
WHO WE ARE:
Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents living in Vancouver, Vancouver's North Shore, Richmond, the Sea-to-Sky Highway, Sunshine Coast, and the Central Coast (Bella Bella and Bella Coola.) At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. At our core, we are a people-focused organization where entrepreneurial spirit runs deep, and opportunity exists for all those who see themselves in the transformation of health care as we know it.
Education & Experience
- PhD in molecular biology (or related discipline) with experience in developing and performing molecular assays
- Minimum 1 year of relevant post-graduate laboratory experience
- Experience in grant writing, WGS, NGS, bioinformatics or liquid handler (STAR Hamilton) programming considered an asset.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Verbal and written proficiency in English
- Good computer skills and knowledge
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary team and communicate with colleagues at all levels
- Experience with the safe handling of biohazardous materials
- Ability to maintain the strictest standards of safety, patient privacy and confidentiality
- Ability to work efficiently and prioritize workloads
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.