NAVAL ARCHITECT, CSC
Irving Shipbuilding Inc., located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company’s primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defence.
The Naval Architect CSC will be responsible for engineering activities related to general naval architecture, stability, seakeeping, manoeuvring, weight, and ship hydrodynamics for the Canadian Surface Combatant (CSC) Project at Irving Shipbuilding Inc. This will include, but is not limited to the collaborative development and review of deliverables that may be provided by Subcontractors as well as the development of corresponding prime contract deliverables. This position will participate in Integrated Product Teams (IPT) in partnership with the Warship Designer and Combat System Integrator. This role will report to the Team Lead, Naval Architecture CSC.
This is a permanent full time role located in Halifax, NS.
- Participate in analysis and definition of system requirements which impact on the ability of the CSC design to achieve classification society design approvals and certificates from certification authorities
- Participate in analysis and definition of system requirements which impact on the ability of the CSC design to achieve project defined margins
- Participate in the development of design deliverables
- Assist with facilitating and overseeing subcontractor development of design deliverables
- Support technical design reviews in respect to naval architectural design aspects
- Participate in technical negotiations with equipment and material vendors in respect to classification societies approvals and certification from certifying authorities
- Assist with change management activities which impact, naval architectural design aspects, approvals from classification societies, and certification from certifying authorities
- Assist in developing and implementing test plans, procedures, and requirements verification tracking in areas relating to general naval architecture including but not limited to stability, seakeeping, and manoeuvring
- Support the review of vendor design products and vendor information
- Address risk items relating to the Naval Architecture Team areas of responsibility, including identification and risk mitigation planning
- Participate in the development of CSC processes and procedures related to the CSC Naval Architecture Team activities
- Propose design and process improvements related to vessel producability, shipyard safety, and production performance where applicable
- Participate in Integrated Product Teams in support of the development of the CSC design
- Develop and foster client, subcontractor, and classification society relationships
- Support a culture of teamwork, enthusiasm and proactive behavior within the Platform Systems Team
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in Naval Architecture or equivalent experience. Meets the pre-requisites to eventually achieve Professional Engineering status with Engineers Nova Scotia.
- Three plus years of ship design experience in the field of naval architecture
- Experience working with classification society rules and classification societies to achieve plan approval for vessel designs and products
- Experience with ship stability and weight estimating for vessel design and construction
- Working knowledge of ship seakeeping, manoeuvring and resistance and propulsion analysis
- Experience working on naval ship design, commercial shipbuilding, or other large military procurement program
- Experience preparing design products for a ship design or major ship upgrade design program
- Strong personal time management skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both orally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Please be advised that some positions have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.