Join Canada’s lifeline!
We are currently seeking a Regular Part-Time Nurse Specialist Cord Blood to join our Medical Affairs & Innovation team in Brampton!
Be part of a dynamic, innovative, collaborative, diverse and caring organization committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians. We are the connection between the sincere generosity of donors, and the heartfelt appreciation of recipients. Thousands of Canadians depend on our programs every day for reliable access to safe blood, plasma, stem cells, organs and tissues.
Are you ready to embark on a meaningful and inspiring journey, where what you do matters? Be part of Canada’s lifeline. Because we can all be the reason, the connection, that keeps Canadians living.
In this role, you will:
- Work collaboratively with Cord Blood Bank (CBB) staff to ensure promotion, development and maintenance of an environment of continuous quality improvement in accordance with regulatory and accreditation standards; and customer satisfaction
- Perform maternal interviews and assess responses to questions to assess donor suitability for cord blood donation including:
- informed consent
- medical history/health assessment questionnaire
- hospital medical chart review with associated assessment for cord blood suitability
- phlebotomy to obtain maternal blood samples
- Ensures interviews are conducted based on regulations and adhering to various cultural sensitivities
- Performs ex-utero umbilical cord blood collection as required (phlebotomy)
- Promotes a working environment that fosters professional growth, communication and positive working relationships which include presentations in community and within hospital to physicians, midwives, nurses, support staff and community stakeholders
- Provide training, support and mentorship to the cord blood bank team and hospital customers
- Promote and facilitate effective stakeholder relationships both for internal and external customers
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing of a recognized registered nursing program; and minimum of three to six years related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
- Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse inOntario is a requirement.
- Knowledge of adult learning principles, developed skills in design, instruction or facilitation is an asset.
- Experience in Obstetrical Nursing and/or Labour and Delivery is preferred.
- Venepuncture experience is mandatory.
- The ability to exercise judgment, tact, diplomacy and strict confidentiality are mandatory.
- Supervisory experience is an asset.
- Knowledge or experience in stem cell collections is an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Must be able to work independently, identify issues and provide resolutions to problems at the hospital. This includes immediate decision making without consultation with the supervisor for their role and in support of the Collection Specialist, as required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team building and ability to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team setting as a non-hospital employee in a hospital setting.
- Computer literacy required; proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Must be detail-oriented and capable of working in a highly regulated environment. Ability to work under pressure to meet demands of the job.
- Fosters and promotes a positive public image of the Canadian Blood Services’ Cord Blood Bank.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates being considered for an interview will be contacted.