Full Time 2 Year Term Position
7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Monday to Friday
Women’s In-House Program
ADDICTIONS FOUNDATION OF MANITOBA
1041 Portage Ave. (Temporarily located in Teulon, MB)
This is an exciting time for Manitoba health care. Manitoba’s health system is currently in transition with planning and changes aimed at improving the quality, accessibility and efficiency of health care services throughout Manitoba. AFM contributes to the health and resilience of Manitobans across the province by providing addictions services and supporting healthy behaviours. If you would like to be part of a foundation of excellence in addictions services and support and build a new vision of integrated health services in Manitoba, consider a career with us.
Reporting to the Supervisor of the In-House program and working within an integrated multi-disciplinary team, nurses are required to provide services to clients in a Women’s only facility engaged in addiction treatment. This position requires a commitment to a client-centred philosophy and approach to the development, provision and support of AFM programs and services.
The Nurse 1 will work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and will demonstrate the following:
- Ability to work independently and as part of a health care team.
- Ability to communicate respectfully and positively with clients and staff and presents self in an approachable and friendly manner.
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm for client-centred care and demonstrates empathy and compassion.
- Exhibits the ability to respond to client requests and crises in a responsible, timely and flexible manner.
- Demonstrates the ability to balance the needs of clients, other staff persons and those of the organization.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for ongoing professional development activities, and engages in reciprocal learning experiences with colleagues and supervisors.
- Recognizes the importance of regular individual and team supervision meetings.
- Demonstrates active listening abilities, is coachable and responds positively to supervision.
- Works collaboratively in the context of a provincial organization, with numerous colleagues, to ensure a consistent AFM approach.
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to personal and professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Ability to manage one’s own emotions and strong feelings; maintain a calm and tactful composure under a broad range of challenging circumstances; think clearly and stay focused under pressure.
- To adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Demonstrates commitment to the agency’s values, visions and objectives.
- Knowledge of women’s health issues including all aspects of reproductive health (i.e. STI, pregnancy, diseases more common in Women, sexuality and eating disorders, stress, trauma, heart disease, diabetes etc.) and the impact of drugs and alcohol on these issues.
- Assessment of clients medical needs upon admission.
- Implements the planned medical care of clients including all aspects of nursing procedures and therapies.
- Responds to medical emergencies.
- Ordering, preparing and monitoring the use of prescribed and over the counter medications.
- Maintains medical portions of client files.
- Networking and liaising with the medical community regarding clients pre-treatment, treatment and post treatment medical needs.
- Develop and deliver health related education programs.
- Individual and group counselling.
- Responds to crisis situations including suicide calls.
- Meets administrative requirements with respect to correspondence, statistics, activity reports, attendance.
- May participate on committees, teams or working groups at the local, regional, provincial or national level.
- Training non-medical employees with the self-administration process
- The nurse is responsible for providing professional nursing services for clients with complex and unpredictable health needs.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate Microsoft software applications, internet and email communications.
Registered and licensed to practice in Manitoba with a Bachelor of Nursing (BN), Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN) or Registered Nurse (RN). Knowledge of: College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba standards, Scope of practice documents, Regulated Health Professionals Act, PHIA, Mental Health Act code of ethics. A minimum of one year experience with individual and group counselling; minimum one year nursing experience; proven knowledge of current nursing theory and practice; possess a valid C.P.R. certificate; excellent oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills contributing to a positive multidisciplinary team environment are essential. Knowledge of the addictions field and experience in mental health is considered an asset. An understanding of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations is essential. Written and verbal bilingual capacity in French and English will be considered an asset.
The Competencies for the Nurse 1 opportunity are:
- Analytical Thinking and Decision Making
- Client Centred Change
- Continuous Learning
- Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
- Effective Communication
- Ethical Conduct and Professionalism
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Interpersonal Rapport
- Case Management
- Crisis Intervention
- Understanding Mental Health Issues, Substance Use, Abuse and Dependency
Note: Preference will be given to female applicants due to the nature of the client demographic.
It is AFM practice to request a criminal record check and conduct and child abuse registry check prior to finalizing the appointment of successful candidates.
Competition No.: 2020-063
Salary Range: $65,931 – $77,676 per annum ($34.86 - $41.07/hr) (under review)
Closing Date: June 8, 2020
Apply in writing to:
Director, Women’s Services
Addictions Foundation of Manitoba
1041 Portage Avenue Winnipeg, MB. R3G 0R8
Or apply through Monster link provided.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AFM VALUES DIVERSITY AND LIVED EXPERIENCEwww.afm.mb.ca