BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre (BCW) is the only facility in British Columbia devoted primarily to the health of women, newborns, and families. It provides a broad range of specialized women’s health services that address the health needs of women of all ages and backgrounds. BC Women’s is one of the largest maternity facilities in Canada, with over 7,000 births a year, and is both the major primary and secondary maternity services provider in the Lower Mainland and the cornerstone of the provincial tertiary care system. As an academic health centre, BCW’s mandate includes providing strong leadership in research and the education and professional development of health care professionals in areas related to the health of the populations we serve.
BCW is an agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA), which plans, manages, and evaluates selected specialty and province-wide health care services across BC. PHSA embodies values that reflect a commitment to excellence. These include: Respect people • Be compassionate • Dare to innovate• Cultivate partnerships • Serve with purpose.
Nursing Unit Clerk – BC Women’s Hospital, Birthing Unit
Wage: $23.51 Hourly
4500 Oak St, Vancouver, BC
Casual Nursing Unit Clerk Opportunities at BC Women’s Hospital!
The Nursing Unit Clerk performs a range of clerical functions, utilizing computerized software programs which relate to the operation of the PBCU area such as maintaining patient records, transcribing and processing physician orders, calling in relief PBCU staff, requisitioning supplies, typing, and reception duties.
- Transcribes to appropriate forms and processes physician orders for laboratory tests, medications, diagnostic tests, treatments, and surgical pre and post-operative procedures.
- Sets up, maintains and completes patient charts; records information such as weight, temperature, pulse, respiration and lab test results in charts or other records as directed; and attaches documents such as laboratory and special examination reports to charts after review by authorized staff.
- Accepts calls from PBCU staff regarding illness and absence from work and communicates information received to the unit(s) and appropriate personnel; calls in relief staff according to pre-determined guidelines and refers problems/difficulties to the supervisor; maintains relief staff contact list information and other related records; maintains timekeeping records for PBCU staff and submits to Payroll as required.
- Performs receptionist duties by receiving patients, visitors and others; answers queries or directs them to appropriate area or staff.
- Performs clerical duties such as typing, answering the telephone, requisitioning supplies from stores, and maintaining related records such as time sheets and census information.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
Grade 12, medical terminology, and graduation from a recognized Nursing Unit Clerk program plus one (1) year's recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to keyboard 40 w.p.m
- Ability to organize work.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Ability to utilize a variety of computer software applications
We invite you to apply by clicking on the "Apply Online Now" button where you can register for the first time or enter your Username and Password in order to re-access your profile on our system.
For more information on all that the PHSA has to offer, please visit: http://jobs.phsa.ca
For more information about the Agency that you are interested in, please visit the website at www.bcwomens.ca/
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.