Position: Peer Mentor (x2)
Department: Mental Health - Adult Inpatient Unit 2
Status:Part-time (must provide availability up to 0.5 FTE)
Hours: Monday toSunday - various rotating 8 hourshifts (Hours subject to change based on operational needs)
Inpatient unit provides 24 hour psychiatric assessment, short-term treatment and stabilization for both child & adolescent and adults who cannot be safely or effectively treated on an outpatient basis. Patients are admitted based on the assessment and recommendation of a Halton Healthcare Services psychiatrist. The unit is staffed by a multidisciplinary team that includes psychiatrists, nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, and pharmacists. Treatment modalities include nursing care, group activities, pharmacological treatments and individual therapy.
This is what you'll be doing:
Reporting to the Patient Care Manager, the incumbent will work as a member of an inter-professional team to provide the following:
· Supporting peers and family members who are being discharged from inpatient unit.
· Advocating on behalf of individuals and participating in service resolution
· Building and maintaining linkages to service providers throughout Mississauga and Halton
· Assist with intake and assessments, comfort plan
· Assist in navigating mental health services
· Provide mentorship role
· Provide support to complete referrals, accompany clients to appointments as needed
· Engage in activities that promotes HHS programs to increase client participation
· Complete necessary documentation according to agency guidelines
· Participate in assigned seminars, training and education sessions and in regional Peer Mentor advocacy groups and best practice development
This is what you'll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Must have lived experience within the Addictions and/or Mental Health system
- Excellent customer service skills and knowledge of common challenges faced by those navigating this system
- Cannot currently be receiving treatment at Halton Healthcarewithin the Mental Health Program
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position.
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record required.
- Proven confidence to advocate with an open mind of lived experience, within the addiction and mental health system to reduce stigma
- Awareness of Ontario Disability Supports Program (ODSP), Ontario Works (OW), Health and Safety, Ontario Human Rights, Employment Standard Act
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment and independently
- Ability to adapt to various work environments and able to flex work hours to meet program, employer and client demands
- Completed post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent work experience may be considered
- Knowledge of psychosocial rehabilitation and the Recovery Model
- Have or be willing to obtain Core Skills Training, Peer Worker training, ASIST, Mental Health First Aid, and First Aid & CPR
Date Posted: July 30, 2020
Internal applications due by:August 6, 2020
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.ca directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. , We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.