A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
This role is responsible for executing the Perfect Store initiative designed to transform physical availability and drive profitable NSV growth by step changing the quantity and quality of our brand execution in store.
The role will work in close partnership with stakeholders to identify and align the Demand organisation to physical availability opportunities. Working to a brief of continuous improvement, this role will ensure market physical availability aspirations are always ambitious and serve to drive category conversion on behalf of Mars Pet Nutrition and our customers.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading the formation, deployment and execution of Mars Pet Nutrition Canada’s physical availability (distribution) strategy, including aligning the business through the planning cycle
- Deploying the Perfect Store Budget (formerly Shelf Acceleration Program) efficiently to maximize ROI and drive mutual achievement of objectives (Mars, customer and category)
- Integrating with other Perfect Store enablers e.g. sales incentives, trade architecture, retail coverage model and sales force automation.
- Planning to optimize physical availability through short term execution needs such as supply constraints, excess inventory and product transitions
- Connecting the program development with the Demand Capability agenda and relevant programs to ensure consistency where possible with other key demand programs
- Becoming a program expert for the development, deployment and reporting of Perfect Store.
- Deploying and adapting global governance models, resource templates, process steps, workshop templates and scorecards for the Perfect Store program whilst maintaining consistency with global Mars Pet Nutrition.
- Driving Perfect Store activation with a focus on Blockbuster and Non-Negotiable SKU availability.
- Testing physical availability initiatives and once proven embed the learnings within the business.
- Collaborating with the Global Perfect Store team in order to share/receive best practice and drive the long term Mars Perfect Store capability agenda.
Driving Physical Availability Strategy:
- As part of the annual business planning cycle, identify the greatest opportunities for physical availability with a financial, category and customer lens, and create plans to close these opportunities
- Coordinate with the Strategic Demand team to align objectives with portfolio and channel strategy
- Coordinate with the Sales team to align objectives with customer strategy and execution plans
- Continuously evaluate opportunities as an input the S&OP+ and business planning cycle processes, including the PMR, DMR, NPM and Collaborative Planning
- Leverage consumer, category, customer, shopper and channel insights to determine and implement initiatives successfully
- Take corrective action where execution is not tracking to plan
- Each year, create a plan for deployment of the Perfect Store budget that maximizes NSV and MAC ROI while achieving strategic objectives (portfolio, customer and category)
- Evaluate all requests for distribution funding for compliance to financial objectives
- Ensure all Perfect Store initiatives are evaluated with a Mars and customer P&L lens
- Ensure all Perfect Store risks and opportunities are supported by a thorough P&L analysis
Short Term Availability Tactics:
- Identify Sales and customer communication that may be required to optimize physical ability through product launches, transitions and short term supply constraints
- Recommend and implement customer prioritization and quota implementation as needed in light of short term product launches, transitions and short term supply constraints
- Recommend and implement quick sale initiatives when excess product is identified
- Participate in C-MOS as required
Tools & Reporting, & Communications:
- Maintain the Next Best Item List (NBIL) and PQA tools and reports
- Design and deploy Perfect Store reporting ad hoc and as part of S&OP+
- Provide visibility to all stakeholders of distribution changes at major points of inflection (e.g. planogram windows)
- Devise reporting to monitor execution of Perfect Store objectives
- Develop Sales communications for internal and external use as required to support initiatives
- Develop plan to embed Perfect Store capability throughout the organization, ad hoc or through key meetings
Additional duties as required based on the needs of the business.
Critical Learning Experience
- Minimum 4 years experience in CPG industry
- University Degree required
- Sales Plan development, and Customer Insights and Analysis
- Leadership of major projects from start to finish
- Successful leadership within cross-functional team setting
- Ability to travel as required
- Sales and/or category management expertise
- Project management
- Analytical skills with proficiency in Nielsen; understanding of consumer and customer insights
- Leadership within multifunctional teams
- Financial acumen
A criminal records check will be required for this position.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Mars Canada is committed to equity in employment and diversity. Mars Canada will provide an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform Mars Canada of your requirements. For more information please review Mars Canada's Accessibility Policy and address any questions about that policy to MarsCanada.Accessibility@effem.com.