VON Canada's eHomecare program is growing and we are currently seeking Personal Support Workers "Health Care Technicians" for Part-Time opportunities! Various part-time positions may be 0.8 FTE = 60 hours bi-weekly, 0.6 FTE = 45 hours bi-weekly etc. Candidates are encouraged to apply and discuss hours/availability when contacted for interview.
PSWs, DSWs, HCAs and Internationally Educated Nurses are welcome to apply!
Program Name: eHomecare
Employment Status: Permanent, Part Time
Union/Bargaining Unit: OPSEU
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Nights, Including Weekends
On Call: No
Our Health Care Technicians, Palliative and/or Acute Medically Complex have unique opportunities to use their talents every day with palliative and/or acute medically complex clients respectively. Under the direction of a Registered Nurse, Directing (DRN) the Care Technician will be providing direct, hands-on care to clients in the clients’ homes in conjunction with our nursing and/or Home Care programs. The Care Technician will work collaboratively and be in direct communication with the DRN through a virtual electronic monitoring system which enables the Care Technician to provide real time information to the DRN.
Training will be provided to support advanced skill sets and requirements.
- Under the direction of the DRN the HCT observes and documents clinical data in the patient’s electronic medical record as per VON guidelines
- Under the direction of the DRN the HCT provides personal care to support activities of daily living and medication administration.
- Is in direct contact with the DRN through a virtual real time electronic monitoring system .
- In collaboration with the DRN contributes to the development and modification of a patient’s care plan based on patient outcomes observed and reported directly to the DRN .
- Under the direction of the DRN will identifies if additional resources are required in the home e.g. home support, and coordinates required needs with the eShift office on scheduling.
- Communicates and collaborates with the family/care giver of the patient to ensure a positive patient experience under the direction of the DRN.
- Frequently communicates and interacts with Registered Nurses.
- Engages with clients and client’s family members.
- Communicates directly with the eShift administrative support staff.
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) certification.
- Developmental Support Worker (DSW) certification will be considered.
- One (1) to two (2) years’ experience as a PSW.
- Current CPR and First Aid certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundamentals of Palliative Care- Level I (course completion or a commitment to take the next available course within the first year of employment).
- Experience in Palliative or acute care (hospital) preferred.
- AHPCE course completion is an asset.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate competency for additional hands on clinical skill required to support a patient’s activities of daily living (e.g. subcutaneous medications, G-Tube feeds and flushes, bladder irrigation)
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments.
- Awareness of community resources.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated basic observation and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in, and aptitude for, ongoing skills training as well as the ability to implement learned skills and behaviors.
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and to work independently.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for business use and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance.
- Willingness to travel to neighboring communities.
- Current criminal background check including a vulnerable sector screen
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.