The Planner/Scheduler is responsible for the development of planning and scheduling of tasks relative to repair and conversion projects. Key responsibilities include developing integrated master schedules incorporating material, engineering and productions plans, resources profiles and schedules, development and upkeep of department templates, Standard Operating Procedures and metrics.
- Utilizing P6 to develop and maintain Contract and Level 3 Plans and integrated schedules for the Project Management Office (PMO) to support adherence to schedule, forecasting and to provide data/management information for decision making purposes.
- Develop the detail planning and scheduling template to provide a consistent format for use in a variety of areas (e.g. engineering, production) that will feed into the integrated master schedule. Ensure that a process to regularly update information is developed and communicated across the various functions.
- Develop and maintain individual and integrated resource profiles for all Programs (by program and trade) to provide forecasting information to all functional areas for preplanning activities.
- Prepare and distribute regular update reports that provide program resource status, schedule performance and identify variances to performance plans.
- Provide planning and scheduling analysis and forecasting to senior leadership to develop management information that will provide the basis for future actions and decision making about the program.
- Support the preparation of Earned Value Management System (EVMS) reports that identify program status, cost, and schedule performance.
- Develop and maintain P6 templates for the project plans bases on functional requirements.
- Provide quality control of the plans that are produced by other planner schedulers.
- Maintain department Standard Operating Procedures and department metrics.
- Support the team of planner’s and schedulers on Seaspan methodology of planning scheduling.
Education and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Business is preferred. Trades certificated combined with sufficient employment experience may be considered
- 5 years planning/scheduling experience in a large manufacturing environment, preferably in the shipbuilding/ship repair industry.
- Certification by an accredited society in Planning, Production Control and/or Project Management is highly desirable.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Extensive knowledge of shipbuilding operations with a detailed understanding of the relationship between procurement, design, production and test operations.
- Proficiency working with independent planning systems including Primavera P6 and Microsoft Project.
- Experience using an ERP system in a large manufacturing environment.
- Knowledge of EVMS principles and their application in monitoring, reporting and controlling work activities.
- Strong problem solving skills, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity and integrity.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills including Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and problem solve.
- Good judgment and reasoning skills.
- Ability to work with limited direction and to function as a key team member.
- Eligible for security clearance.