At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
About Facilities Management and Development
Ryerson’s Facilities Management and Development (FMD) department involves the care of the physical environment of the campus and strategic planning for existing and future spaces, including the impacts of those spaces. The Maintenance and Operations division within FMD supports the heating, plumbing, electrical and carpentry needs of Ryerson University across over four million square feet of campus. Maintenance and Operations staff provide a mix of on-demand work requests and planned service, including managing service contracts for major equipment and oversight of ongoing infrastructure improvements.
We are looking for a licensed and experienced Plumber/Gasfitter to join our team! This is a full-time permanent position. In this position, you will be responsible for undertaking regular inspections, preventive and corrective maintenance, modifications, repairs and adjustments to piping and components of water, gas, air and vacuum services including waste and drain services in washrooms, laboratories and mechanical plant spaces.You will be responsible for completing the implementation of plumbing service request from campus clients.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lays out, assembles, installs and repairs pipes, fixtures and fittings used for water distribution, waste disposal and gas distribution according to plumbing and gas codes.
- Installs and repairs piping valves and fittings made of metals such as iron, steel, lead or copper and non-metallic materials, such as plastics, glass or vitrified clay.
- Cuts and threads pipe, using pipe cutters, hack saw, flaring tool and pipe threading tools or machines.
- Joins pipe sections using fittings, couplings, elbows, solder, lead, screws, bolts and clamps; secures pipes in position using brackets and hangers.
- Installs domestic plumbing fixtures such as water closets, wash basins and baths, industrial plumbing fixtures, kitchen equipment and photographic processing equipment.
- Connects components together such as water supply piping, control valves, fixtures and drainage to form complete plumbing systems.
- Maintains and repairs installed plumbing systems by tracing and rectifying defects, replacing broken pipes and fixtures, soldering and caulking leaks, clearing plugged waste pipes and traps and thawing frozen lines.
- Locates, lays out and marks position for connections, passage holes and fixtures in walls and floors using measuring tools and devices and knowledge of water supply, waste disposal systems and gas supply systems. Cuts holes through walls and floors to accommodate pipes using hand and power tools.
- Undertakes a comprehensive preventive maintenance program and ensures that proper maintenance cycles are maintained and data given to the Supervisor.
- Under the direction from the Supervisor, Maintenance and Operations undertakes preventive maintenance and replacement of components such as valves, strainers, traps, of installed piping systems involving hot water heating and low pressure steam, chilled water, etc., forming part of the physical plant distribution system.
- Undertakes modification, replacement and major repair of piping and components such as valves, traps, strainers etc., in the boiler plant, chiller plant, fan and mechanical rooms etc. under the direction of the Supervisor, Maintenance and Operations.
- Completes bills of material, estimates, sketches and other documentation as required.
- Responsible for the maintenance and repair of sprinkler and fire lines.
- Undertakes modification, replacement and repair of pneumatic piping.
- Repairs and maintains air compressor piping, pressure reducing valves and fittings associated with them.
- Please refer to the job description for all responsibilities (Available upon request).
- Successful completion of an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent, preferably in a technical program.
- Successful completion of a current Ontario license for Journeyman Plumber and Gasfitter.
- Minimum of 3 years work experience as a licensed Journeyman Plumber and Gasfitter in the maintenance of building plumbing and heating systems, preferably in an industrial, commercial or institutional facility.
- Experience reading and interpreting specifications, drawings, blueprints, and diagrams, for building plumbing services.
- Working knowledge of the Ontario Plumbing and Gas Codes.
- Working knowledge of WHMIS and OH&S Act.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to follow detailed established procedures and methods to perform job duties.
- Ability to prioritize the order in which work orders are completed.
- Ability to work in undesirable and disagreeable conditions such as dust, dirt, fumes, extreme temperatures (excessive cold or heat) and potential hazards, etc.
- Must be capable of heavy lifting and other strenuous physical activity such as: continuous walking; standing; kneeling; climbing ladders; working on the back, sides and above shoulder for extended periods of time; working in confined spaces; working on scaffolds, air lifts or elevated equipment.
- Must be willing and able to wear and use personal protective equipment (PPE) and clothing.
- Must demonstrate a record of attendance, reliability and dependability.
What Ryerson University has to offer employees:
There is something for everyone! Employees are eligible for many benefits, services and discounts including:
- Convenient location downtown at Yonge and Dundas, accessible by transit and car.
- Consistent and guaranteed shifts (40 hours per week).
- Competitive Benefits Package: Group benefits including comprehensive health and dental, emergency travel care, employee and family assistance program (EFAP), life and business travel accident insurance.
- Ryerson Retirement Pension Plan (RRPP): Participation in a defined benefit pension plan.
- Tuition Waiver/Rebate: Eligible employees and their spouses and dependents have access to various programs and courses offered by Ryerson University.
- Discounted TTC Metro pass: Available for purchase at the Ryerson Students' Union (RSU).
- Health & Fitness: Reduced membership rate to two (2) Athletic Centres which includes group fitness classes, massage therapy, personal training and aquatics.
- Medical Centre: Access to the Ryerson medical centre which provides a range of medical services on campus.
- Onsite Daycare: Full-time and part-time daycare, and before and after school program.
Important Notice Re: Job Postings during COVID-19
While we are committed to ensuring the best possible experience for all applicants, due to the situation regarding COVID-19, please be advised that Ryerson University ("Ryerson") reserves the right to pause a job competition at any stage in the process. Applicants will be notified in the event that the job competition process in which they are participating is suspended or paused. We appreciate your understanding during these unprecedented times. Thank you for your interest in Ryerson University.
Shift premium may apply