PRESIDENT AND CEO
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
The President & CEO leads NorQuest College, a transformative, innovative learning organization.
NorQuest has recently unveiled an exciting new strategic plan: Imagine 2025. The plan embraces bold and innovative thinking, organizational and sector disruption, industry and business partnerships, and long-term financial viability while supporting an ultimate goal: ensuring NorQuest and their learners improve the social and economic well-being of Alberta and its people.
INNOVATE AND TRANSFORM THE BUSINESS OF LEARNING
- Place the best interests of NorQuest’s customers at the centre of all decision-making.
- Lead with courage toward the future of learning, embracing disruption, ambiguity and complexity.
- Be entrepreneurial; sustain and grow the value customers receive while pursuing new business models.
- Be imaginative and agile; encourage and trial ideas, adapt quickly, and learn from mistakes.
- Be bold and decisive; take calculated risks and move forward to achieve NorQuest’s purpose.
INSPIRE THE POTENTIAL OF NORQUEST’S TEAM, CUSTOMERS AND COMMUNITY
- Ignite energy and engagement among all stakeholders in NorQuest’s deep purpose.
- Embody and unite unwavering commitment to NorQuest’s inclusive culture, values and integrity.
- Speak to inspire and motivate connection with NorQuest’s unique brand and story of learner potential.
- Exemplify NorQuest’s openness; attract and elevate diversity of thought, cultures and experiences.
- Listen, seek and encourage feedback, actively manage and achieve collaboration and high performance.
BUILD AND STRENGTHEN NORQUEST’S CAPACITY FOR IMPACT
- Attract and keep critical talent; grow, develop and promote NorQuest’s next generation of leaders.
- Advance systems and processes to secure the financial, physical and IT infrastructure needs of the College.
- Prioritize and safeguard the physical and psychological health of the NorQuest community.
- Encourage business processes to be future focused and continually improving.
- Champion the continuous improvement and evolution of NorQuest by advancing their ongoing Cultural Transformation.
- Balance talent, capabilities, enterprise risk, costs and services to advance NorQuest’s purpose.
ADVANCE EXTERNAL AND BOARD RELATIONSHIPS
- Grow new connections, vibrant partnerships and relationships aligned to NorQuest’s purpose.
- Pursue the leading edge; anticipate and set pace with the changes in learning and our community.
- Maintain working relationships with all orders of government, external stakeholders, and industry partners.
- Work together with the Board of Governors to promote and deliver good governance practices.
- Be the external “face” of NorQuest, proactively engaging in all aspects of the community. Be media savvy; engage media (traditional and social) when and where appropriate to support NorQuest’s efforts.
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Develop authentic and trusted/trusting relationships with the Board of Governors, employees and stakeholders;
- Envision and implement thoughtful operational plans in support of achieving Norquest’s plan: Imagine 2025;
- Facilitate long-term financial stability with a plan to develop alternate revenue sources which could include fund raising, entrepreneurial endeavors, or other innovative approaches;
- Achieve measurable improvement in culture, including empowering staff to be entrepreneurial, disruptive thinkers through the ongoing Culture Transformation;
- Develop a strong sense of the ecosystem of partnerships within the new provincial government, within the municipalities in which we operate, with industry partners, and other key stakeholders; know the players and understand the lay of the land. Demonstrate a solid understanding and knowledge of all stakeholders who can influence positive outcomes for NorQuest;
- Inspire, and then hold the team accountable to the operating principles of being a learner-centric, market-driven, entrepreneurial and integrated organization that makes evidence-based decisions and commits to quality and continuous improvement; and
- Build a presence in the community that reflects proactive engagement with strategic partners.
- Relevant post-secondary education; and
- Ongoing commitment to leadership learning.
- Minimum 15 years of business experience with considerable time spent in an executive leadership role; prior CEO experience is welcomed;
- Demonstrated success navigating relationships and leading change within complex, multi-stakeholder environments;
- Possesses considerable experience advancing successful relationships with community leaders in government, corporate, and not for profit sectors; and
- Demonstrates sophisticated knowledge of governance best-practice and/or experience operating within and supporting a board governance structure.
COMPETENCIES AND ATTRIBUTES
- Focus on the Future – anticipate how learner and employee needs will change over time, and proactively respond.
- Execute on Plans – drive key business processes to optimize business performance; demonstrate sound judgement, business and financial acumen in decision making; and empower and coach decision-making at the appropriate level.
- Innovate & Lead Change – Question current practices and the status quo, and make changes to improve processes and systems across the organization; shift the thinking about how the College will operate in the future; and support a culture of research and inquiry which includes showing openness and building excitement around new possibilities and opportunities.
- Connect & Collaborate – Take the initiative to seek out and build strategic partnerships and key relationships with external stakeholders; demonstrate and maintain leadership presence throughout the entire organization; and listen to others and exchange information proactively, across teams to create cross-enterprise integration.
- Develop People & Culture – Demonstrate authenticity, vulnerability, and humility and receives feedback openly; demonstrates self-confidence, managerial courage and credibility as a leader; coach, mentor; lead with a focus on NorQuest’s future leaders; create a culture where people embrace the learnings from both successes and failures.
EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
As an essential element of their DNA, NorQuest welcomes the unique contributions that candidates can bring in terms of diverse backgrounds and experiences, and encourage applications that represent the diversity of their community.
SALARY: Compensation for this role has been defined through the Post-Secondary Institutions Compensation Regulation as set out by the Government of Alberta. For more information, please refer to: https://www.alberta.ca/abc-compensation.aspx#toc-1 and https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/post-secondary-compensation.pdf
COMPETITION NUMBER: 2020-2613
CLOSING DATE: Open until a suitable candidate is found.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume in Word or PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy and Paste the following job title and code and place it in the subject line of your email so we can identify the job and confirm receipt of your application: AMNO-076846 President & Chief Executive Officer – NorQuest College - AB - Edmonton and Area (OTIAPPLY)
NOTE: Notification of receipt will be sent only to online applicants.
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As the Edmonton region’s community college, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse, and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies, and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural, and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program, and a commitment to a positive work/life balance.
NorQuest College is committed to being an employer of choice for First Nations, Metis and Inuit people in Canada by leading, supporting, and being an ally to Indigenous people through the institution’s work toward decolonization, reconciliation, and Indigenization. We encourage applications from First Nation, Metis, and Inuit peoples to support the College in its efforts to work towards these goals and to build a better future for Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples. NorQuest College is committed to recruiting and retaining Indigenous people to ensure we are leading, supporting, and moving forward in a good way.
This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.