You're an experienced product manager who has conceived and delivered multiple, innovative hardware and software consumer lifestyle products. You love the challenge of understanding the unknown, simplifying complexity, delivering product, and delighting users with experiences that fit and extend their lifestyle. You’re looking to be a part of an entrepreneurial culture that requires collaboration across multiple teams. You are looking for an opportunity to contribute to an overall product strategy, know how to use research, insights, data, and are seasoned enough to balance excellence with delivery. You’re great at influencing in a matrixed environment and you have a bias for action.
Above all, you want to make a positive impact on the lives of our users through a combination of new experiences and form factors.
What You’ll Do:
Within 15 days:
- Understand the vision, strategy, tenets, and roadmap for Focals
- Understand the target consumer, research insights, and ongoing research methods to help understand goals and expectations
- Understand the design tenets and language for the overall Industrial Design
- Understand the overall workflow of the team
- Establish ongoing 1:1s with your key partners, peers, and team to understand their challenges and opportunities to improve
Within 30 days:
- Manage and prioritize the product backlog, which includes user stories for software, mechanical, electrical, and manufacturing
- Collaborate with your peer team from Engineering, Manufacturing, Industrial Design, Research, and Marketing to help enable the thinking on your experience area and distill the product direction through a combination of user feedback, value vs cost analysis, and timelines
- Establish strong working relationships with the Industrial Design and the engineering teams to ensure features are implemented at the level of fidelity at which they were conceived
- Coordinate field testing of the product, and use feedback to drive improvements to the overall product
- Work closely with program management to ensure product requirements and milestones are met
Within 90 days and beyond:
- You have established yourself as the CEO of your product feature or area, driving it from concept to market
- Understand the pulse of the user and know their needs, goals, and motivations
- Have written detailed product specs, translated research and intuition into product scenarios, detailed features, and MVP
- Work daily with the ID, engineering, and Manufacturing teams to prioritize scenarios and release them
- Have established product feature KPIs to measure product success
- Conduct usability studies in the field to constantly improve the experience
- Review and evolve tools and processes that help us deliver great experiences to market
- Contributing to overall Product strategy at North and helping define the vision, strategy, and roadmap. You are a strong advocate for a user-centric product.
- Support marketing and customer care with the development and maintenance of various technical marketing collateral such as FAQs, User guides, field training, online marketing content, and demos
What You’ll Need:
- Several years of experience in product management, product design, or product engineering for consumer products. Critically, you have been responsible for multiple product cycles from cradle to grave.
- BA/BS in a technical field or industrial design
- A product portfolio demonstrating your ability to deliver consumer tech through the full product lifecycle
- Strong empathy for understanding consumer needs and translating them into products
- Strong passion for delivering a high-quality product that meets product, design, and business goals
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse range of people and job functions
- Exceptional problem-solving, negotiation, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Proven ability to work as part of a fast-paced team
- Masters degree
- Experience in wearables
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes above? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply!
Day-to-day, we challenge each other to constantly raise the bar, encourage unconventional thinking to achieve innovative breakthroughs, and are passionately committed to surpassing our goals. We advocate a healthy lifestyle and promote continuous learning in a flexible work environment. Most of all, we set visionary goals, and we’re passionate about building the best, most impactful products that people will love.
North, formerly Thalmic Labs, builds products that change the way we see and engage with our world. North’s latest product, Focals, are custom-built glasses with a display only the wearer can see. Focals let you see texts, get turn-by-turn directions, check the weather, request an Uber, ask Alexa, and more — seamlessly and immediately. Founded in 2012, North has grown to a world-leading team of engineers, researchers, designers, and creators committed to building a future where technology is there when you need it and gone when you don’t, hidden by design