The Production Control Technologist has the responsibility of enabling the smooth and efficient flow of material and production/manufacturing activities within their respective stage/s of construction. Monitoring of on-time material availability, releasing of production shop orders as per planned requirements and tracking of physical and transactional production progress form the primary responsibilities of the post holder.
The Production Control Technologist shall manage the production sequence within their area and manage work station workload whilst monitoring manufacturing schedule adherence, productivity and efficiency and expediting potential issues through liaison with other key functions.
- Reviews work package data, material availability and work center workloads to release production shop orders as required by schedule.
- Cooperates with production superintendents and area managers to sequence and prioritize manufacturing, assembly and installation activities.
- Ensures that all information required by production to commence work is available prior to start.
- Interrogates ERP system data to ensure the system is always updated with actual progress achieved.
- Utilizes company used software to track progress and to produce reports for management.
- Liaises with various key stakeholders within production and participates in daily integrated production team meetings providing feedback and information whenever necessary.
- Produces work queue reports and dispatch lists to warehousing and production work centers with expected start and finish dates for operations.
- Investigates the causes of issues and delays in production and expedites all necessary activities to eliminate them.
- Ensures that shop orders are completed in a timely manner and that no outstanding transactions remain after completion of each work package.
- Acts as the link between the production function within their area of responsibility and support functions such as Detail Planning and Engineering.
- Constantly monitors Work In Progress and material availability are within the company specified limits.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor of Technology in manufacturing is preferred. Diplomas may be considered with sufficient relevant employment experience.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in utilizing ERP software tools (IFS preferred) for material/inventory requirements planning purposes with a demonstrated history of achieving delivery schedule targets.
- Experience within a heavy industry environment.
Skills, Knowledge and Required Competencies
- Excellent understanding of Material Requirements Planning principles.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Very thorough and analytical nature with the ability to identify and report issues in a timely manner.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office based packages such as Word/Excel/PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and change direction when required.
- Ability to function as a team member and liaise effectively with various functions.
- Strong ERP system data analyzing, processing, administration and report extraction skills (IFS preferred).
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and demonstrated inventory and material management experience a distinct advantage.