Program Manager -1800023457
About Global Information & Technology Risk Management (GITRM)
Global Information & Technology Risk Management (GITRM) is a division of BMO that combines Information Security, Information Management and Technology Risk into a comprehensive department. GITRM’s mandate is to provide sound governance and guidance on information and technology risk, as well as to provide critical services central to protecting the Bank against cyber threats.
GITRM (Business) PMO is accountable to execute on these critical services and solutions while operating securely in an increasingly connected global environment.
The Program Manager will be accountable to manage the Financial Crimes Unit (FCU) program.
This program will build an industry leading Financial Crimes Unit that is intelligence based, enabling real-time detection and prevention of financial crime activities, like cyber-attacks and fraud.
The FCU program is highly complex and large-scale in nature, spanning multiple functions and business groups. The Program Manager holds the primary Program relationship with senior executives from both Business and Technology, and ensures that a successful business outcome is the prime measure of success.
The Program Manager ensures that there is coordination of subsidiary programs or projects and that deliveries are aligned across all these initiatives to obtain the desired business benefit.
The Program Manager has breadth and depth of understanding of multiple lines of business and is able to facilitate communication between multiple stakeholders efficiently and effectively. The Program Manager directs, manages, and coordinates team members (for potentially multiple projects) including other project managers, business and technology resources, user groups, internal and external consultants and contractors, as well as vendors and external regulatory organizations.
- Has end to end accountability for the successful completion of the program/project. Directs and coordinates team members in creation of program/project deliverables.
- Possesses an understanding of multiple LOBs and directs sub-project managers, business and technology resources, user groups, internal and external consultants, and contractors and vendors.
- Manages large-scale projects or programs of significant complexity and value (>$10MM) with high risk.
- Manages relationships with executives to be able to provide program advice, counsel and support regarding strategic project issues, key project priorities and timing of program deliverables.
- Approves the leadership of any subordinate programs/projects in order to create an effective program leadership team and monitors interdependent projects to ensure the strategic objectives of the program are achieved.
- Acts as a change catalyst, including identifying people, processes, and technology implications to various end users / stakeholders and designing the change and implementation plan.
- Creates and owns the plan consisting of staffing, budgets, roles and responsibilities, assumptions, dates, deliverables, metrics and reporting.
- Cultivates and supports an organizational culture that provides for high performance, high morale, integrity, teamwork and work-life balance.
- Provides leadership, motivation, coaching, and professional development for project teams in order to obtain a high level of co-operation and contribution from all project members.
- Provides expert consultation and guidance to others to help them deal with complex problems.
- Analyzes trends to proactively prevent problems.
- Monitors program health continuously and engages management as required if project health changes.
- Rigorously manages project scope to ensure commitments are achieved within agreed on time, cost, and quality parameters, with an enterprise perspective.
- Ensures end results are of the highest caliber with a clearly articulated scope and quantifiable business benefit, and oversees governance controls to ensure that projects/programs meet all the performance, quality and compliance standards and conforms to appropriate methodology.
- Identifies and tracks project risk and develops mitigation plans to manage risk (i.e. risk related to technology, change management, procurement, business process management, requirements management).
- Supports project management activities following BMO’s project management methodology and practices.
- Reports administrative and financial metrics back to Business Sponsors and related stakeholders to ensure transparency and accountability.
- Establishes effective project or program oversight and other governance bodies, and engages the appropriate stakeholders to support the direction of the project or program and enable superior customer experience.
- Contributes to the development of the seed funding request by ensuring project scope and benefits are clearly articulated and risks are identified.
- Works in close partnership with Finance and key stakeholders for monthly reporting requirements (i.e. Finance, compliance, Status, Issues Management).
- Manages and/or validate financial forecasts and provide on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenses.
- Develops an understanding of organizational complexity to interact and engage with the appropriate matrix areas for the construction and delivery of the solution.
- Develops innovative approaches to create solutions to resolve problems and significant issues within the project’s mandate.
- Identifies, develops, and/or promotes best practices and applies learnings from the more fluid parts of the business.
- Develops and recommends productivity aids in all aspects of assignments to accelerate delivery.
- Seeks to integrate digital methods for agile, rapid prototyping, and for customer involvement.
- Supports the execution of key improvement initiatives using data-driven insights to deliver positive financial and customer outcomes.
- Continuously improves program/project processes in order to ensure the best possible deliverable outcome to improve overall efficiency and improve the bank.
- Closes project or program spending accounts upon project closure
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the capability at BMO, such as: sharing expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks across technology.
- Stays abreast of industry technical and business trends through participation in professional associations, practice communities & individual learning
- Generally 10-15 years of work experience in IT or business environment and/or B.S./B.A. in computer science, engineering, information systems, math or business
- Expert level of knowledge in domain
- Experience in managing large-scale projects or programs of significant complexity and value (>$10MM) with high risk.
- Able to connect programs to broader organizational goals and deliver against the key performance drivers of business partners
- Knowledge and expertise in the use of program management methodologies
- Possesses total perspective of Program Management, can organize the work, and build and foster relationships required to ensure success.
- Possesses superior project management skills, including:
- Knows the mechanics on project forecasting and tracking of actuals for labor, hardware, and software.
- Understands resource allocation and management, including time-tracking and budgeting.
- Reads work breakdown structure and identify dependences.
- Demonstrated agility in learning and ability
- Core project management skills including multiple aspects of the PMBOK
- Knowledge and expertise in the use of project management methodologies and tools (e.g. Clarity, MS Project, SharePoint repositories, Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) if applicable).
- Knowledge of waterfall and agile methodologies.
- Sound business supported by previous technical experience.
- Possesses relationship management and consulting skills.
- Possesses solid presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
- Possesses expert analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to analyze a component or components of a process to optimize system functionality.
- Possesses change management skills, including identifying people, processes, and technology implications to various end users / stakeholders and designing the change and implementation plan.
- Able to identify and/or recommend opportunities create/contribute to tactical and strategic vision.
- Able to deal with complex business or technical issues and make appropriate trade-offs/escalations as required, while maintaining an overall project or program perspective
- Able to translate technology issues into business terminology and visa-versa
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
To submit your application for this job, please go to:
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.