Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently seeking an Engineering Manager to join our Mining & Minerals team in Oakville, Ontario in anticipation of a project win. The Engineering Manager will apply extensive and comprehensive knowledge of engineering principles and practices to the organization’s products and services. The Engineering Manager will plan, schedule and assign/supervise or conduct broad and/or technically complex engineering assignments requiring judgment, independent evaluation, selection and significant adaptation and deviation from standard techniques and procedures.
- Manage team of Engineers and Designers on specific project; planning and coordinating the engineering activities on large project or serve as an individual expert, completing broadly defined and/or technically complex engineering assignments
- Interface between Engineering and the other disciplines on the project including Process Engineering, Project Controls, Project Management, Procurement, Contracts, Construction, suppliers and the client team
- Monitor and ensure the engineering work on the project is completed on schedule and meets quality standards within baseline man-hour and budgets.
- Identifies and secures necessary approvals for all changes in project scope, budget and schedule in a timely manner.
- Work with Discipline Leads to ensure that staffing levels are appropriate to achieve the engineering schedule commitments and personnel are assigned with appropriate ability
- Supervise and/or prepares proposals, contract design drawings and calculations, contract information, specifications and other engineering documentation.
- Ensure that the checking and review of documentation and interdisciplinary coordination is carried out in accordance with the contract requirements and Project Procedures.
- Prepare technical evaluations of supplier’s proposals
- Give presentations to customers, suppliers and internally within the organization
- Work with project management team
- Serve as a technical expert
- Assure the technical quality of work performed by subordinates based upon organizational standards, codes and general knowledge of engineering principles and projects
- Investigate client and/or project management grievances at assigned project to determine facts and recommends a solution
- Develop subordinates’ skills and encourage growth; takes responsibility for subordinates’ actions
- Manage the progress of the engineering work in accordance with the project scope, schedule and procedures.
- Quality Assurance - Ensure that the quality audits of engineering work are carried out in accordance with the Project Procedures and the quality assurance plan.
- Establish and maintain a climate favourable to the application of ethical and professional practices in the execution of the engineering work.
- Train and aid his subordinates in their proposal development.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the Client Engineering Manager to ensure direct, rapid and efficient communications on all technical aspects of the project.
- Maintains a functional relationship with other department heads on the project.
- Serves as engineering representative with client, constructor, subcontractors, and vendors at Kick-Off meetings, job walks and project review meetings.
- Help drive the company environmental health and safety programs at the project level, driving a safety-oriented approach to work
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or Master of Science in Engineering
- Minimum 10-15 years experience in engineering and engineering management in an EPC/EPCM environment with a preference for individuals with a proven track record in Industrial and Mining / Metallurgical Projects
- Working knowledge of the organization’s technology and knowledge and understanding of how the various discipline engineering activities integrate into a complete project
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in Ontario will be considered an asset
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with customers and vendors
- Ability to work with administrative supervision and effectively manage multiple and conflicting priorities
- Good knowledge of design processes and systems
- Prior experience managing multidiscipline engineering groups
- Must possess leadership and coaching skills in the development, training and mentoring of team members and support staff
- Must be competent in the use of computer software applications used for project control and administration, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disability Act, 2005, we are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in all parts of the hiring process. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when raised with the recruiter or by e-mailing.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.