Lafarge in Canada is proud to provide construction solutions in the infrastructure market in Western Canada. Lafarge is fast becoming one of the largest construction companies in Western Canada in the construction of infrastructure projects. We utilize our tremendous resources with high performance products from our cement, aggregates, ready-mix concrete, asphalt, and concrete products divisions. Lafarge takes personal growth and development to heart, and provides resources for our employees to take control of their own careers. Through our commitment to communities, to the health and safety of our employees and their families, or through the many volunteer hours of our employees, Lafarge demonstrates our care for people. If you want to work in an environment that values hard work, entrepreneurship, and collaborative teamwork, Lafarge is for you. Building Better Cities is what we do. Come Build a Better Career with us! More information can be found at https://www.lafarge.ca/en/careers.
The objective of this position is to coordinate and supervise manpower, materials lay down, subcontractors and equipment in order to successfully complete the awarded projects safely, as specified, on schedule and on budget. The position will assist the General Superintendent in the overall management of assigned projects.
Health, Safety and Environment:
- Demonstrates a commitment to a safe work environment. Understands the safety objectives of the organization and supports these efforts in a visible manner.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner.
- Administers Safety Policies and Programs to employees, subcontractors, and sub-trades including all required meetings.
- Constant monitoring of projects to ensure safety standards are adhered to
- Schedule all phases of the project to meet completion dates
- Update schedules as required
- Assist foremen in coordinating daily tasks, including men, equipment, and materials
- Maintain quality as per specifications
- Accurate and on-time reports, including time, production, materials, etc.
- Attend site meetings as a representative
- Maintain and develop strong working relationship with customers and/or representatives
- Monitor job cost reports, report deficiencies and potential issues as soon as they appear or are foreseen
- Maintain a daily project diary
- Supervise, train, and act as mentor to foremen
- Estimate and/or assist estimators with tenders
- Number of employees: 25 - 35, depending on projects
- Total cost of projects: $1 - $10 million
- Ensure compliance with all Safety Policies and Regulations
- Complete project at or below estimated cost
- Ensure that quality meets specifications and customer expectations
- Complete project on schedule
- Ensure accurate and on-time reporting
- Prompt reporting of any concerns or opportunities
- Ensure that expectations are clearly defined to workers
- Certified Engineering Technologist Diploma, or related post-secondary education, experience will be considered
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Asphalt /pave experience – minimum of five years preferred
- Solid estimating experience – minimum of two years preferred
- Proven ability to lead multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to estimate contracts, schedule work and materials
- Effectively conduct meetings with owners, consultants, inspectors, suppliers, sub-contractors, and other customers to promote Lafarge products and image
- Basic mechanical knowledge
- Solid understanding of quality control
- Strong supervisory skills and interpersonal skills
- Sound knowledge of Safety Policies and Programs
- Basic product knowledge
- Excellent verbal and written communication
Pre-employment medical including drug & alcohol testing and a criminal background check will be required.
Why work for us?
Working for Lafarge offers a wide variety of career opportunities that utilize your abilities and skills to contribute to a better world. In addition to local and global developmental opportunities, we provide employees with competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits plan, a health & wellness program with financial incentives, an extensive global e-learning platform and much more! More information can be found at:
We thank you for your interest. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Lafarge is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages the applications from women, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.