Public Health Technologist Virology
BC Centre for Disease Control,$31.44 to $39.22 per hour
What you’ll do
- Participate in day-to-day work activities in Virology by testing clinical and other specimens using tissue culture and nucleic acid technique, and evaluating and verifying results according to established procedures.
- Identify viruses using fluorescent microscopy, rapid immunoassays, shell vial and traditional cell culture methods.
- Prepare stock solutions and reagents following standard operating procedures.
- Perform cell culturing technique for virus propagation and maintenance of continuous cell line, and semi automatic nucleic acid extraction and detection by real time PCR.
- Respond to requests and inquiries for all referred in tests. Seek direction as required from the Technical Coordinator, Team Lead, Site Supervisor, Laboratory Operations Manager, or Program Head/Medical Microbiologist, as appropriate, on customer service issues
What you bring
- Certification with the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One year of recent, related experience including experience in a research based laboratory or an equivalent combination of education, training and recent related experience.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (Until December 2021)
Wage: $31.44 to $39.22 per hour
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Sunday: Variable, 24 hours operation, 7 days a week
Requisition Number: 99195
What we do
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) bccdc.ca is dedicated to preventing and controlling communicable disease and promoting environmental health for the province.
Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of October 29th, 2020. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.