QUALITY ASSURANCE ENGINEER
Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
The Quality Assurance Engineer will be a key member of the Quality Team ensuring effective implementation of the Quality Management System.
- Develop and implement methods and procedures for work-in-process inspection
- Develop process control documentation, including the needs of both the internal and external customer
- Develop appropriate steps to maintain and/or improve engineering processes
- Monitor and trend engineering quality metrics as part of a daily management program that includes daily, weekly and project level metrics
- Establish shipyards target levels for quality metrics based on industry standards
- Lead the resolution of quality issues in engineering, including the use of root cause analysis and contingency plans as appropriate
- Educate and train the workforce in best practices needed to maintain quality work in the engineering process
- Participate in continuous improvement projects in the area of engineering quality
- Alongside Technical Authority, interpret and implement customer specifications and regulatory requirements
- Perform audits of in process work to ensure compliance with documented shipyard engineering processes
- Post-Secondary Degree in Engineering
- Eligible for registration with Engineers Nova Scotia
- Minimum of 5-8 years relevant experience in Naval marine environment
- Knowledge of working with a Government and Naval customer base
- Proven ability to achieve high performance levels in a complex fast moving environment
- Ability to work independently, set priorities which accurately reflect the relative importance of job responsibilities, and follow through on assignments with minimal direction
- Proven ability to work with various levels of the organization, from first line personnel to the executive team.
- Ability to manage through teamwork and influence, as well as gain commitment
- Solid communication skills, both verbal and written
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
For more information, please contact Erin Sloan at:
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.