Unilever is one of the world’s leading suppliers of Food, Home and Personal Care products with sales in more than 190 countries. Working to create a better future every day, we help people feel good, look good and get more out of life. In the United States and Canada, the portfolio includes brand icons such as: Axe, Becel, Ben & Jerry’s, Breyers, Caress, Clear Scalp & Hair Therapy, Consort For Men, Country Crock, Degree, Dove personal care products, Fruttare, Good Humor, Hellmann’s, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, Just for Me!, Klondike, Knorr, Lever 2000, Lipton, Magnum, Motions, Nexxus, Noxzema, Pond’s, Popsicle, Promise, Q-tips, Simple, St. Ives, Suave, TIGI, TONI&GUY Hair Meet Wardrobe, TRESemmé and Vaseline. All of the preceding brand names are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Unilever Group of Companies.
Our ambition is to double the size of our business, while reducing our overall environmental footprint (including sourcing, consumer use and disposal) and increasing our positive social impact. We are committed to helping more than a billion people take action to improve their health and well-being, sourcing all our agricultural raw materials sustainably by 2020, and decoupling our growth from our environmental impact. Supporting our three big goals, we have defined seven pillars, underpinned by targets encompassing social, environmental and economic areas. See more on the Unilever Sustainable Living Plan at http://www.unileverusa.com/sustainable-living/ or http://www.unilever.ca/sustainable-living/.
Unilever employs approximately 11,500 people across North America – generating more than $10 billion in sales in 2014. For more information, visit www.unileverusa.com or www.unilever.ca
Unilever offers numerous exciting career paths within R&D. Creating new innovations and technologies, and enhancing our existing brand portfolio – it’s all yours in Unilever’s R&D function. Bring your imagination and technical expertise to help develop superior products in an ever-evolving consumer marketplace.
STATISTICS & DATA SCIENCE INTERN
A R&D Statistician / Data Scientist Intern will be focused in one of two areas and will be expected to conduct the following activities as part of a team:
- Apply Data Visualization, Machine Learning, Text Mining, Statistics, Big Data Analytics, or Predictive Modeling as applied to clinical and/or biological systems or formula and material science
- Generate, compile and present analytics based on specific project assignment, including analysis and reporting
- Work with cross functional teams (i.e. formulation, clinical science, consumer science, bioscience) as project requires
- Maintain a safe working environment in laboratory and assigned work space.
- CANDIDATES MUST BE LEGALLY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE U.S.
- Masters or PhD. Student with significant coursework or major in Statistics, Biostatistics, Bio-informatics, Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Industrial Engineering.
- Baseline level of statistical thinking required for all candidates
- Must have experience writing statistics-focused scripts using R, SAS, Python, or similar programs (e.g., JMP)
- In addition, there are two types of candidates we are looking for to work specific projects in the Research & Development team:
- Consumer Insights – multivariate analysis, regression analysis, text mining, visualization of high dimensional data
- Clinical / Biosciences – at least 1 year of statistical theory / methods and fundamental understanding of simulation approaches
- Willing and able to work as part of a team and also to think and act independently with minimal guidance
- Willing and able to learn to explain technically-sophisticated methods to a non-technical audience